Author Topic: Moose Hunting  (Read 9766 times)

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
Moose Hunting
« on: Aug 25, 2004, 09:24:46 PM »
Had to get a topic on the board.  ;D

Anybody out there lucky enough to  get a permit this year? I was the subpermitee for my brother who's name was drawn the second year after they started the drawings - 1982. We got a 785 lb bull with a nice webbed rack. Haven't been drawn since. My brother has though. My father shot a moose the last year they had an open season (before the drawings) in 1935. He was 27 at the time.

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
Re: Moose Hunting
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2004, 06:55:05 AM »
hey bout time we got a hunting forum. i am a subpermitee this year with a friend in
zone 3.  i have gotten 2 permits in the past. 1 in 1990 and another in 2000. shot a
big bull the first time.i wasn,t out of the truck 5 min. it ate lousy , so the 2nd time i
shot asmaller bull. it was very good eating.did all the prossing myself so i know what
i got. moose hunting in maine is an experiance of a lifetime. good luck to anyone who
is lucky enought to get a permit.
buy the way , does anyone know if there is a moose call for cow moose. we drew
a cow only permit.

Offline bear baiter

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2004, 06:21:56 PM »
i am taking an older gentleman on his first ever moose hunt in zone 3 i have also taken others to this zone with good success. one was 996lbs 58" bull the other was a 56" 760lb bull and i also took a 624lb cow in this zone lots of moose here if u know where to look for them

Offline bear baiter

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2004, 06:23:20 PM »
deer hunter what zone did you get

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2004, 06:48:57 AM »
bear bait man
we were picked for zone 3. will be staying in eagle lake.i am familer with the area
because ive fished there for many years. will probally start scouting east of
 rt 11 between ashland and the railroad tracks.don,t know too much about the farm country too the east of the zone.e mail your #.we may be in need of your services.

Offline bear baiter

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2004, 05:28:55 PM »
deer hunter just to inform you about zone 3 it no longer starts in ashland the lowest that you can hunt is the beaver brook road and the high meadow road that leads to rte 228 to caribou for more info on this zone go to mdifw for a complete description of the zone .  hope to hear back from you i dont have a cell number but will have a vhf radio with me and a cb .  will be glad to help you with any info and hunting spots that i can and will help with retrieving your moose if i am in the area always willing to help a fellow hunter when in need . get back to me and we can talk some more just wanted to let you know about the hunting zone becuase you said that you where going to start scouting east of ashland and the railroad tracks but we can not hunt that far down. hope i am helping you and not confusing you, please let me know if i am wrong ok

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2004, 07:21:28 AM »
bear baiter. i am familer with the zone 3 boundrys. i ment portage not ashland.
i thought about that after i posted. would like to get in contact wiyh you.i have a cell
 but the only place it works is at the rest area overlooking eagle lake. i will e mail
you my #. talk to you later.   thanks

Offline bear baiter

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2004, 05:40:35 PM »
ok deerhunter let me know if you have been scouting yet or not and if you have been see any moose yet

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2004, 06:57:53 AM »
don,t think i,ll be doing any scoutiny until oct.to busy at work and around the farm.
its also a long ways to go for me. i have some people at eagle looking around for me.
the moose will probally be spooked from the first week and bird hunters anyways.
the trick wiil be to hunt where no ones bothered the area.

Offline Deer Monger

• 6 Pointer
    • DumondFlies.com
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2004, 01:27:22 PM »
Didn't get drawn. In fact I've never been drawn. Better luck next year right!
Good luck to you all who were drawn!
2009 tally

Woodies - 5
Mallards - 2

Offline Phoenix

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »
Don't feel bad Andrew, I've been trying ever since they came out with the draw and I haven't got one yet even with the eight bonus points and purchasing the extra six chances. Kind of grit my teeth when I hear of two people in the same family getting one, or the same person getting more than one over the years. I'd like to see them increase the amount of time to five years between successful draws.

Did get a doe permit though and that fat one that's been eating my garden all summer and is now eyeing my apple trees has got a big surprise in store ;D

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2004, 07:22:45 AM »
you know i guess its just the luck of the draw. i got a permit in 90 and 2000
and a permite this year. my hunting partner has never got one and i only know
2 other people that has. i usally can,t win anything not even a doller on a scratch
ticket.

Offline moosetalker

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2004, 05:20:18 PM »
Got like 26 permits this year,and 25 last year .Alot of moose killing going on  ;D

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2004, 11:29:39 AM »
i don,t understand. hou can you get 26 permits?

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2004, 02:21:18 PM »
u a guide with an allotment of tags??  or just a joker? ;D ;D
Come on Archery season

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal