Author Topic: Canned Hunts  (Read 36259 times)

Offline CROWKILLER

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill um - n - Grill um
Re: Canned Hunts
« Reply #30 on: Sep 08, 2006, 09:01:28 AM »
all i have to say is...... Dee Dee Dee

Offline scansy

• Forked
  • IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #31 on: Sep 08, 2006, 09:04:13 AM »
I don't think the decline of hunting and fishing popularity is a result of canned hunts.  The people who are totally against the canned hunts are generally against hunting in general anyway.  I think the decline in popularity is a result of older generations passing away while new generations are not taking up the sports as much.

The whole topic of kids not getting outdoors is frustrating to me at times.  I try to get my two boys out as much as possible.  When I get them out - or force them outside to the woods near the house if I can't go - they have a blast.  In the end, they have so much more fun than being in front of a tv/computer/etc.  But the next day, they gravitate right back to the the electronics. :P

Of course, look at me.  As a displaced Pittsburgh native, I follow the sports teams on the internet and spend a half hour or so every day reading sports pages over the internet.  And don't ask how much time I spend on MFF, IS and MHF! :'(

The sad fact is that as time goes on, hunting and fishing will be less and less popular.  Most kids - and many adults - don't have the patience required.  Success and excitement can be hours away when hunting and fishing.  If you don't have a general appreciation of just being outdoors and the whole experience, it is easy to move to the electronics.  Fire up the computer and you can be having excitement in 5 minutes - each and every time. :-[

All that we can do as hunters/fishermen ourselves is do our best to get our kids involved.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #32 on: Sep 08, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »
dont ever buy a pork chop again...thats essentially what roy did...hows that n e different..i think the point your making is about wild animals...he shot a darn pig..
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:05:02 PM »
dont ever buy a pork chop again...thats essentially what roy did...hows that n e different..i think the point your making is about wild animals...he shot a darn pig..

;D ;D
Adam

Offline Whitetailer

• Spiked
« Reply #34 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:19:53 PM »
I'm aware of the fact that theres losers in Alberta that sell and purchase canned hunts as well. I never said it was exlusive to the US (not anymore anyway). People are people, whether its American, Canadian, Paki or anything else, theres gonna be losers everywhere you go, just like theres winners everywhere you go. We've got trespassers, road hunters and poachers too lol. I'm not proud of the fact that its done here in Alberta too. And to answer your question, if the only legal hunting left around here was fenced in animals, yup, I would sell my bow, rifles and shotguns and take up golf. I enjoy hunting, putting an animal inside a fence and killing it isn't hunting, anybody that partakes in it, sure as hell ain't a hunter.

And to the boobs that said canned hunts are a great way to get kids started in hunting.. I feel sorry for your kids. You're teaching them no respect for the game they are hunting at all. I'd suggest you immediatley take yourself out of the gene pool lol.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:21:42 PM »
you know..wait a minute...the more i think about this the more upset i get ...first off...i might have been inclined to agree with you had you not been so rude ...he shot a boar and a goat...not the buffalo you felt so sorry for..second you rain all over somebodies parade in what may be a proud moment for them(but oh well right). second..you stated "thats the reason our sport is losing popularity" ..i ask you..whens the last time you did anything positive for the outdoors besides buy a lisence...especially in a country that habitually steps all over their hunters heritages.  before you get all puffy know that i sit on the oakland county chapter of ducks unlimated and the north oakland wild turkey federation and the clinton river chapter of trout unlimited and have volunteered for numerous workings in my chapters areas and am also a dual citizen of canada and the us with residency in brights grove ontario. dont assume to be the champion of all things right. your bashing of "fellow" sportsman based soley on your alone beliefs is in fact the reason our sport is losing popularity. its people who spout off about their beliefs with bashing and insults at community confrences againts anti hunters that loose support..its the undiplomatic way you defend your beliefs as a hunter that turn up noses in the non hunting community. Wake up man. if hunters are getting all pissy (even those,myself,that share some amount of agreement with your feelings) are turning their noses up at you..ask yourself how am i helping the sport i so dearly love.

Offline esox slayer

• Nubbie
« Reply #36 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:25:13 PM »
I'm aware of the fact that theres losers in Alberta that sell and purchase canned hunts as well. I never said it was exlusive to the US (not anymore anyway). People are people, whether its American, Canadian, Paki or anything else, theres gonna be losers everywhere you go, just like theres winners everywhere you go. We've got trespassers, road hunters and poachers too lol. I'm not proud of the fact that its done here in Alberta too. And to answer your question, if the only legal hunting left around here was fenced in animals, yup, I would sell my bow, rifles and shotguns and take up golf. I enjoy hunting, putting an animal inside a fence and killing it isn't hunting, anybody that partakes in it, sure as hell ain't a hunter.

And to the boobs that said canned hunts are a great way to get kids started in hunting.. I feel sorry for your kids. You're teaching them no respect for the game they are hunting at all. I'd suggest you immediatley take yourself out of the gene pool lol.

So your saying that if a person from the city doesn't have 1000 miles or so at his disposal, and not enough money to afford to go on a hunt to far away places, and wants to hunt, he should forget it just because the canned hunt might be the only option for him??  Wow, thats a GREAT way to increase participation in the world of hunting....and isn't that a point you made about the decline of people participating??

Offline Whitetailer

• Spiked
« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:27:24 PM »
..i ask you..whens the last time you did anything positive for the outdoors besides buy a lisence...

Wrong question to ask the wrong guy lol....

Would you like to hear about the time I donate to the hunting mentorship program every friday night, the 12-16 year old kids I take hunting weekly? Or the guided waterfowl trips I donate to youth groups every year? Or the guided fly fishing trips I donate to the same youth groups every year? Or maybe I should just tell you about the 10-12 kids from the neighborhood I take hunting every fall. I spend 3 x as much time teaching kids how to be a HUNTER as I do hunting for myself.

Didn't mean to sound like I'm blowing my own horn..... you asked lol.

Offline Whitetailer

• Spiked
« Reply #38 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »
So your saying that if a person from the city doesn't have 1000 miles or so at his disposal, and not enough money to afford to go on a hunt to far away places, and wants to hunt, he should forget it just because the canned hunt might be the only option for him??  Wow, thats a GREAT way to increase participation in the world of hunting....and isn't that a point you made about the decline of people participating??

There is always an alternative to a canned hunt. If you can afford to pay the yahoos that run these places, you can afford to drive an hour or two to hunt somewhere else. And now the next excuse is going to be "theres no public land within a comfortable driving distance for a day hunt". As hard to believe as this would be, it may be accurate in some places, and the answer is private land, get a county landowners map, a telephone, 2 hours of your time after dinner and a pot of coffee.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:32:54 PM »
no thats really good...im glad to hear it actually..the country really despretly needs it....thats why i volunteer so much of my time to conservation efforts as well...my state(mi) has the lowest hunter recruitment of any state in the union...its important..the main purpose of my point was that i spend alot of time writting legalslators and at debates over hunting issues...diplomacy...not brashness...are the best answers..im not saying you cant have an opinion...by no means do i mean that...but if you cant be tactfull with fellow hunters...theres no way you can do it with those who dont...becareful really. tone it down a notch..i hate trophy hunting...big ranchs and even bigger animals because they are bread geniticly superior...but it was  a boar hunt...a pig..and a goat. all items raised and slaughterd for everybody. i would be on your side if it was the buffalo standing next to the fence..but it wasnt..it was a pig.

Offline Whitetailer

• Spiked
« Reply #40 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:39:14 PM »
I tend to have a pretty hot head for this kind of stuff, and my apologies for coming off strong. Whether its a pig, a goat, a pigeon or a coyote, at the end of the day, its still a life that deserves respect, and its our job as stewards of the environment to show the due respect for that life. As hunters, we show that respect in the manner in which the life is taken. Putting it inside a fence and killing it is disrespectful. I realize that we as a species routinley raise animals in poor conditions soley for the purpose of slaughtering and consuming, and I don't agree with the way this is done, but you gotta fight the battles that have a glimmer of hope of winning lol.

Offline esox slayer

• Nubbie
« Reply #41 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:46:57 PM »
There is always an alternative to a canned hunt. If you can afford to pay the yahoos that run these places, you can afford to drive an hour or two to hunt somewhere else. And now the next excuse is going to be "theres no public land within a comfortable driving distance for a day hunt". As hard to believe as this would be, it may be accurate in some places, and the answer is private land, get a county landowners map, a telephone, 2 hours of your time after dinner and a pot of coffee.

I could argue every one of your posts with valid reasons that you might not understand, due to your location versus some of the areas we have to endure down here, based solely on the population differences.  No insult to your intelligence is inferred by that statement.  Public(and private) lands are not as prevalent as you might believe..and in the "southern tier" region of this state, there is a lot of public land available, but during the deer season there, it can sound like a war zone....everybody and their brother hits the woods for the deer season and hunting on this public land is near impossible....

We agree to disagree...and in light of being a part of a society that endorses that mode of thinking, then so be it.....

Offline CROWKILLER

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill um - n - Grill um
« Reply #42 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:57:44 PM »
i cant wait till i go hunting in the zoo ,their are so many differant animals their to hunt and its a very short walk from cage to cage. then the following week im going to the aquarium to catch me some fish in those nice tanks,boy i cant wait                                                                                                                                            so is this how you feel most americans hunt and fish

Offline Whitetailer

• Spiked
« Reply #43 on: Sep 08, 2006, 03:44:32 PM »
i cant wait till i go hunting in the zoo ,their are so many differant animals their to hunt and its a very short walk from cage to cage. then the following week im going to the aquarium to catch me some fish in those nice tanks,boy i cant wait                                                                                                                                            so is this how you feel most americans hunt and fish

I'd like to think most Americans are responsible, ethical hunters. Because 99% of the hunting shows we get up here in the GWN are American filmed, all I have to go on is what we see on your tv shows.....and the better part of that is filmed inside a fence. Having said that, most of the time hunters are portrayed on shows OTHER than specific hunting shows, we're portrayed as boobs, so this isn't a reliable means of information by any account. I've never hunted in the US at all, and jusging by what I read on the American hunting forums, see on the American Tv shows, and hear from my American buddies, I don't think I'd ever feel the need to hunt down there. I realize that a huge portion of the US is overcrowded with hunters, and you guys are losing your battle down there and for that I sympathize with you, but these high fence hunts arn't the answer. Instead of paying for these BS "hunts", why not support your local pro-hunting organizations? In Alberta we have an organization called "Hunting for Tomorrow" which couples first time youth (and adult) hunters with qualified hunting mentors and guides to teach them about our sport. We also have organizations like the Alberta United Recreationilst Society (AURS), the Use Respect Program, and hundreds of local Fish and Game clubs that work their butts off to deal with the challenges hunters face. Surely you have similar organizations in your home state. They are all under funded because even though hunters bitch, piss and moan about how hard it is to gain access to private land, how close the quarters are getting on public land, and everything else we bitch about, HARDLY ANYBODY contributes time or capital to these hard working organizations. In my opinion, anybody that dosn't regularly volunteer, contribute or both to such organizations, has absolutley no right to complain one syllable about poor conditions.

Offline CROWKILLER

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill um - n - Grill um
« Reply #44 on: Sep 08, 2006, 03:52:30 PM »
but here in the U.S. we keep dangerous animals behind high fences but you Canadians open the gate for dangerous animals = terrorists, and thats how they keep ending up over here in the U.S. sorry but i had to vent

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal