Author Topic: Poison ivy home remedies  (Read 3991 times)

Offline deerman

• 6 Pointer
  • ya get what ya need
Poison ivy home remedies
« on: Apr 22, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
well out of extreme boredome and the fact that i was just itching my legs, im making this post on poison ivy. I know summers just around the corner and im fairly sure that im not the only one out of the 1500 people on this site that get poison ivy. what are your won little home remedys you use to get rid of it i usually fill the bathtub and put 1/2-3/4 gal. of clorox in it and soak for about 45 minutes if its only minor(which it never is for me) i usually just splash a little on the effected area. lets hear yours. :)
Every man dies, but not every man lives.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Poison ivy home remedies
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »
oatmeal soak or that ZANFEL stuff is expensive but works really well
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2009, 07:27:13 PM »
this is about the only thing on this planet that im not allergic to  ::)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2009, 07:55:07 PM »

When i was little and got it on my fingers, my grandpa use to make me pee on the blisters.
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
You have about 5 min after contact to wash off the oil of the poison ivy plant so that you wont break out.  If you know you have brushed against it wash off with dishwashing soap.. it cuts oils off better than hand soap.  For mild poison ivy not on your face the best treatment is Clobetasol gel the strongest topical steroid there is( a prescription). Over the counter 1% hydrocortisone will help but isnt strong enough.   BAD poison ivy requires 2-3 weeks of oral prednisone( also prescription) .  If really allergic to the oil, there are barrier creams to rub on before getting in the woods like "IvyBlock"  (over the counter)   Dont count on staying not allergic to poison ivy, I got it the first time age 40 in the spring turkey hunting... from last years leaves. Could roll in it when I was young with no problem. Its common to get it from petting your dog or cat after they have been out in the woods.

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2009, 07:38:29 AM »
I used to get it really bad when I was younger, still do now but not as extreme. I would like to think I'm a little smarter (contrary to what my wife tells me) than I was in my youth. When I was a kid I could look up poison ivy in the dictionary and I would get it. I even got it in the middle of winter once when I was cutting firewood, cut through a log and hit the ivy stem which splattered juice on me and boom got it. I just grin and bear it til it goes away, tried alot of remedies and the best remedy for me is stay away from it ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
 Dont count on staying not allergic to poison ivy, I got it the first time age 40

I've never got it, but have never put it to the test either..............hope my luck doesn't change.  :-\

I did see a display at the sportsman's show this year about a natural cure. Here's the web site:

www.naturespoisonivycure.com
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009, 09:03:36 PM by Out4Trout »

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2009, 09:10:23 AM »

When i was little and got it on my fingers, my grandpa use to make me pee on the blisters.
LMAO. How did that work out for you?

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
Hell im in good shape then......  I always get the last few drops on my fingers....  "No matter how you shake and dance, the last few drips fall on your pants(hands)"  I used to get it REAL bad in later summer after hanging the same set... Never could figure out why until i went to the tree the set was hung in and found a vine growing up the backside of it...  Im just REAL cautious of what my surroundings are, havent gotten it in 2 years.  Im REAL allergic to it.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2009, 12:46:13 PM by WhiteTail Madness »
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal