Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 121091 times)

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #150 on: Jun 19, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »
Boy o boy them old time pass me on's are something special & They don't make the new stuff like the old stuff , Good for you getting your fingers on that stuff  ;D ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #151 on: Jun 26, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
What a difference having the arrows tuned good makes, definitely less left/right errors. I've been shooting the 45 lb bow I want to hunt with, the arrows tune pretty close form what I can tell so far, need to get used to the heavier weight and 1" shorter brace. I also plan on going to a low-stretch sting for a little more speed(and stability), which will probably make them weak.

Anyway, after shooting the heavier bow, the 40 lber seems much lighter and I can hold at full draw, which allows me to take my time and aim. My groups really tightened up and I now feel in control of the bow when I shoot.

The best practice for hunting seems to be just one arrow at a time, concentrating on making that one good shot. With the feeling of being in control of the bow I can hit the center of the target regularly, still get some errant shots when something goes wrong and it doesn't take much to throw the shot off.

Want to try some longer distance shooting with the tuned arrows now, lost my "range" till Fall, need to go to my friends yard down the road now. Can only get out to about 15 yds out side the house.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2013, 10:30:05 AM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #152 on: Jun 26, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
Man you are getting deadly with that set up   ;D ;D ;D     Looking great  ;)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: Jul 01, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
Trying to not go more than a couple days with out shooting, finally got a few shots in today. Getting to the point where I am fine tuning everything with my form, I can usually tell what I am doing wrong when I make a bad shot. Last week I found that my draw arm elbow was too high causing me to hit high, now drawing around and back in line with my shoulder. Today I was hitting high sometimes and scattering the arrows, seemed I wasn't getting a clean release. I have heard that you need to have the release hand relaxed, no tension other than what is needed to hold the string; muscle tension is minimized by using a "deep hook" with the string buried into the first joint of your 3 fingers.

My problem, which I finally noticed, was my thumb position, I was holding it inline with my index finger which required muscles. I started relaxing my thumb and now let it lie naturally alongside the index finger, as opposed to forcing it on top near the knuckle. I can now draw with my hand totally relaxed. Also, my anchor point is more solid because my thumb is now closer to my face, and my thumb knuckle now lines up under my cheek bone instead of alongside it. My anchor point is more consistent and I'm getting more consistent, smooth releases from one small change.

Need to get a couple good strings made for the 45 lb Hunter soon, really want to use that bow in the Fall, it hits hard. and I can hold it no problem now. I'll have to string up the 50 lb Hunter next; plan to set this one up with a heavy arrow for bigger game. Need to take some pics of this bow, the riser is cool with 3 different woods.

When I concentrate and aim I can hit the bull with the heavier bow, need more practice, then tuning for broadheads.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #154 on: Jul 01, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Interesting form in your hand, having the string in your first joint goes against everything I was taught years ago when I started. Makes sense but it sounds like a smooth release would be difficult. Are you shooting three under?

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #155 on: Jul 02, 2013, 04:25:13 AM »
Nice shooting funny how little things make a world of difference keep up the great shooting   ;D ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: Jul 02, 2013, 06:50:01 AM »
Interesting form in your hand, having the string in your first joint goes against everything I was taught years ago when I started. Makes sense but it sounds like a smooth release would be difficult. Are you shooting three under?

Shooting split finger like I did as a kid, it seems natural and I like it for hunting. If I was more into target/3D three under would probably be better.

Burying the string into the first joint of the fingers is the key to a clean release with a bow without any let-off, it keeps the release hand as relaxed as possible.

(Looks like my thumb is touching the string but it is behind it about 3/4")
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: Jul 17, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »
Wasn't able to shoot for about a week around the fourth and I suddenly developed a pain in my left(bow) shoulder :-\ , so I took a break so I didn't aggravate it. Started shooting last week, still a little pain but shooting doesn't bother it. Started back with the 28# Bear; then moved up to the 40# green bow, for some reason I shoot this one the best, maybe because it is tuned better.

Yesterday my first group was really good, then things went downhill. I noticed I was drawing straight back and went back to the rotational draw and things got better right away, NEED to use back tension every time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8_-96h6BY

Decided to try the 45# Hunter with this draw and it worked good with the heavier weight, this bow is a lot faster than the 40#er and I really want to hunt with it this Fall. I contacted the guy that made my last strings and he said he is making a few now, send my order. He said his prices were higher than they should be on his website to discourage orders, sent me a nice refund through Paypal, I'm getting 2 custom low stretch strings for $20 each with shipping. 8) I'll keep shooting with the factory string, then set it up and tune it and add silencers and a tip protector, might have to cut the arrows a little if the new string is faster like it should be.

At this point I feel confident hunting with the 40# X-200, if I can get the 45#er shooting as good I will use that and the 40 will be a back up.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #158 on: Jul 17, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »
You going to shoot traditional broad heads with it this fall?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: Jul 17, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »
Yes, 2 blade Magnus, lifetime warranty and cheap price; plus the blades can be resharpened, have a KME broadhead sharpener coming along with a leather strop.

I decided on these with solid blades over the regular Magnus Stingers w/ vented blades:

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #160 on: Jul 18, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
I was just looking at all the medivel and traditional broad heads in the latest Lancaster catalog.   Have to get some of these lol. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/medieval-rope-cutter-broadhead.html

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: Jul 20, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »
Took a couple days off, today the shoulder felt good so I shot quite a bit with the 40#er. Some days the arrows just go right were I want, started off shooting 5 arrows at a time and got some nice groups.

When things started opening up I switched to one arrow to concentrate on every shot, like while hunting; when I focused this was the result:

After dinner I decided to try the 45#er and shot pretty good with it, really just want to keep shooting it regularly to get used to the heavier weight. Still waiting on the new strings so I can tune and add silencers. I ordered some special yarn to make my own strings "puffs", its musk ox wool(supposed to work best/the lightest) coming from Canada; for the price of two sets from an archery store, I will have enough to make a bunch of them.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #162 on: Jul 20, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
Dude you need a new target...    ;)      ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #163 on: Jul 20, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
Good shooting. That target sure doesn't owe you anything, but it's still stopping them.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: Jul 20, 2013, 10:10:19 PM »
I was checking out replacement covers, should order one before it goes all the way through. The other side is still good. ???
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal