Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 120992 times)

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #90 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
got mine already to practice some...first time out to test my compound this year...hope I can do it.

That's great Doreen, keep practicing regularly; as along as you can hit a paper plate at 20 yds consistently you should be good for hunting if you keep the shots close.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012, 10:23:30 AM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
After 3 weeks of nothing but close shooting I decided it was time to start working my way back, starting at 8 yds. All the form work really helped, now just need to keep shooting a lot and get the aiming part ingrained. I shot back as far as 17 yds and was able to put some in the bull from there; shooting further back seemed to help by being able to see the flight of the arrow and how a bad release affects flight. I also tried canting the bow some and shot pretty well, will need to practice that for hunting when clearance is needed. Might try a little more this afternoon once my shooting spot gets in the shade.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #92 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
I have decided I suck at this but I am trying so I guess that is worth something.  I wont go out until I am able and capable of taking the animal with surity......right now I am not so sure...lol I can hit the target at 15 yards but it is not consistant...HELP

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: Jul 06, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »
Doreen, the key to hitting where you aim consistently is to shoot consistently, do everything the same every time; the proper term is form. It's the same for a compound or recurve, which is why I spent the last 3 weeks shooting from only 3 feet from the target with either my eyes closed or looking at the arrow; just working on my form so I could do it naturally. After shooting a lot today it has really made a difference.

The best thing you could do would be to find someone to show you the basics in person, either a lesson from a coach, or find an archery range where you could watch other shooters and probably find a person willing to help you out. Otherwise there's lots of websites and videos to learn from , and remember that there is no "right way" with archery, just remeber to be consistent and do what feels right and is most comfortable.

Here's a couple good ones that cover the basics:

http://www.pvoltmer.com/websites/tutorial%20site/index.html#4

http://www.archerygold.com/shooting-compound.html
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #94 on: Jul 06, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »
Nice shooting CaptJJ. I agree completely with the consistency.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: Jul 09, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »
Been shooting a lot, much more fun than the compound. Grouping good close when I relax and concentarte on aiming; tried some shots again at 18 yds and seemed to do better than in close, probably concentrating more. After I finished I looked at the green bow and the fletched arrows and decided to crimp on a nock and try it. The 1916 arrows were under spined a bit with a 100 grain point, better with an 85, could at least shoot fletched arrows with them( they didnt fly great). Have to get a tubing cutter and start cutting them down 1/2" and trying them; have about 2" to work with or will need to go up to 2016s, think I'll be alright.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: Jul 09, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
Shot a little more this evening mostly from 8-12 yds to work on getting more consistent in close. Decided to head back to 18 yds and was able to lay the arrows in there pretty good the first try, just looking where I want to hit for aiming; shooting 4 fletched and 2 bare shafts:

Stepped back up to 10 yds and put the first 2 arrows high(typical after shooting for farther out), then centered the rest:

I think I shoot better farther out because I relax more and just let the shot happen; I've noticed the same thing shooting compounds. Really starting to get back tension and "expanding" at the shoot for a smooth release and automatic follow though; the key is to use the back muscles(squeeze the shoulder blades together) but relax everything else. If you do it right your release hand will travel backwards after release, it happen's automatically.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012, 06:40:38 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #97 on: Jul 10, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »
Doreen, the key to hitting where you aim consistently is to shoot consistently, do everything the same every time; the proper term is form. It's the same for a compound or recurve, which is why I spent the last 3 weeks shooting from only 3 feet from the target with either my eyes closed or looking at the arrow; just working on my form so I could do it naturally. After shooting a lot today it has really made a difference.

The best thing you could do would be to find someone to show you the basics in person, either a lesson from a coach, or find an archery range where you could watch other shooters and probably find a person willing to help you out. Otherwise there's lots of websites and videos to learn from , and remember that there is no "right way" with archery, just remeber to be consistent and do what feels right and is most comfortable.

Here's a couple good ones that cover the basics:

http://www.pvoltmer.com/websites/tutorial%20site/index.html#4

http://www.archerygold.com/shooting-compound.html

thanks so much for the info....dont know how I missed this but I did.....I am signing up with a guy from Cazenovia to help me out as I am stupid with this.  He gave me some exercises to do to build the strength up in my arm from surgery damage and I go to him next week.  Told me to stop practicing because I was not doing something right and was hurting my arm worse.  I also checked out these sites and see I was looking pretty stupid out there.  not at all like it was when I was doing this as a kid.......anyways thanks a bunch for the info.....and I like your website....might have to call on you next time I go to lake george.........

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: Sep 11, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
Well now that Summer is over I have more free time again to practice, managed to shoot the recurve just enough the last couple of months to retain everything. Things are starting to get more "automatic" now; no thinking about it, just shoot, which is really the key, along with just concentrating on where I want to hit. Shooting various distances out to 20 yds.

I finally bought an arrow saw, want to get the carbon arrows tuned for the green bow(40lbs), maybe tomorrow. Full length they are weak, so I will start cutting off 1/4" until I get a bare shaft to fly straight; will use 125 grain point to start with the standard inserts. Had a couple custom strings made with FF string, less stretch and a bit faster than the stock one.

Started shooting the compound again, all the recurve shooting definitely helps, especially with using back tension and following through. Took a few shots through paper, looked good till I tried a bare shaft, was slightly nock left. Moved rest out a hair and had bullet holes; made a sight adjustment after a few shots, then tried some broadheads. Will still need to adjust the sight a little for the longer pins. 22yds:
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2012, 08:54:08 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: Sep 23, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
This chipmunk has been teasing me for weeks, usually runs out from the green shed I use as a backstop; I get a shot at him every once in a while and hadn't connected in about a dozen tries, lots of close ones.

He kept trying his luck yesterday, I missed from 8 and 10 yds, then around 15. I was shooting at 20 yds, had one arrow left and he ran out, I skimmed his back, he chirped and ran, at 15 yds. I kept shooting and he finally came by as it was getting dark; he was headed for his den under the pines and stopped on the stone wall. I crouched and stared at him from 8yds, drew the bow and released without thinking about hitting the wall and ruining my arrow; hit him good and he was knocked sideways a couple feet, the arrow went straight into the pine needles. Couldn't find him, think he ran down one of his holes; arrow was wet with a speck of blood. Think I gut shot him. ;D

Haven't praticed much with the compound but I think I'll be alright, 5th season with this bow. Took some shots at forty yds for the first time this year with broadheads today, figure I should be good to 30 while hunting, don't really care to shoot animals that far anyway, I like them close. 8)
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2012, 08:55:16 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #100 on: Sep 23, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I picked up another book, this one about shooting instictively with an emphasis on the psychological side more so than the mechanics of shooting. It was a quick read, I think it will really help my shooting and have already reread a few parts.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #101 on: Sep 24, 2012, 05:04:18 AM »
Very neat JJ....Your shooting extremely well with both!
Fun to work on the local rodent population....Squirrels are rampant here....have a little corn feeder out back in the yard for them..... :D  Will try to send a little silent death their way in the next week...(they chewed Ty's cork handle off his fly rod this summer).... >:(
Never was really good at instinctive shooting....good enough to hit the target...just not a spot...
One of the best I ever watched was a pro shooter out of Johns shop, his name was Jeff something or other...LOL....He shot a bare Oneida Eagle, at 70 lbs....out to 70 yards on the 3D course @ Hudson Falls he would kick all our butts....You could hear that Eagle snap across the course....but he knew it inside and out and was deadly....Think he went on to shoot for Mathews....
Went to shooting one arrow this week....from different positions...and only out to hunting distance...(30 yds max) Tried one last night at 7:15....from my chair....found out that these old eyes just don't see the pin well at dusk these days....still center punched it....but will be looking for a brighter pin to put in my scope the next few days....
Sure hope we get to see you with a giant Ohio buck again this year, and maybe one with the recurve....Glad you had a busy fun summer!

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #102 on: Sep 24, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
good shooting JJ. I had made up some wood arrows for the recurve and put a 4 feather fletch on them...they were horrible, changed it to 3 and am shooting well
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #103 on: Sep 24, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
How did the recovery go on the gut-shot 'munk go?  Yotes, fox, neighbor's cat get it?
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: Oct 03, 2012, 01:25:47 PM »
Saw the red squirrel that's been teasing me for a couple weeks run by and grabbed the recurve to go after him; he knows when I'm after him now.  Didn't want to pull the target out, but spied a big shroom in the lawn. Hadn't shot in several days, first shot:

Knocked the top off:

Reds and chipmunks were pretty active, missed a few shots; kept hitting rocks under the grass and remembered I had a couple judo points. Took a couple practice shots, then a chipmunk came out from the bushes. First try with the judo on "game", about 8 yds ;D:

Red is next. ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012, 01:35:38 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal