Author Topic: This years  (Read 2528 times)

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
This years
« on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:56:32 PM »
What a morning. On the way into my stand at 5:45 this morning I had just passed the first log pile in the landing. I could smell a deer but with no light there was also no hope. I at first thought it was my imagination but after walking another 40' the deer started blowing at me. I try not to let that stuff bother me and keep my head down and trudging. In the back of my mind however I'm thinking my day is shot! This year I placed my stand closer to home, but fairly close to the spot I ended up sitting when I got mine last year. As I was at my stand getting geared up , acorns start raining down on me and I hear the clumsy flapping of a couple Turkey's roosted in my tree. Plus a dozen more in surrounding trees. Was quite alot of noise as those clumsy birds flew off chattering in the darkness.
  Now I'm really thinking my day is shot!!
Come 7:45 I see a small doe coming and walks directly in front of me, out 70 yards or so. 10 minutes later a good buck was coming up in behind where that doe came from. I reached for my gun and the deer was gone without a trace. Not sure if it picked up movement in my shadow or if it saw me outright. After 5 minutes I heard two shots over in the direction the deer had gone. Damn it!! My day is shot!!
20 or 30 minutes later, I see two deer down just to my right. I realize they must be bucks because they are sparing with each other. I get my gun ready and the snap on my tether rope clicks off my stand. This caused them to split up with one going down the hill. The other started heading away, then turned back at me. Came within 45 feet of my tree then walked away. I have so many things to do around the house, I started feeling guilty for not taking the shot. I am going on vacation Thanksgiving week and would usually hold out for a better buck. It was probably 30 minutes after that, I saw this guy head back up the hill to look for his brother. By this time I have made up my mind to put the meat in the freezer now and get it out of the way. It will make my better half happy if I can get these things done at home, so i piled him up with a shot. I hung out for 20 minutes or so, packed up my backpack and stand and leaned it up against a tree. I went back up the hill and got the deer a dragged it to the tree my pack and stand were leaning on. I had not quite started dressing the deer and off in the far corner of the property I heard 3 shots. Nothing to be excited about, for I'm done. As I'm bent over this deer I hear a snort . I stand up, knife in hand and blood to my elbows only to be standing face to face 30 yards or so from a 150lb 6point. He looked at me as if he knew I had gotten what I wanted and his uneasiness seemed to vanish. He put his head down and slowly walked away with alot less urgency to flee than he had when he came upon me.
Great day!

patience, persistence, presentation

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: This years
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2019, 04:00:10 AM »
Great write up! Thanks for sharing, congrats to you, ( and your wife  ;))
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2019, 05:04:50 AM »
Congratulations.   Nice job..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline gunn308

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2019, 05:08:17 PM »
Congrats and thanks for the storyline. My Comp Professor would have been elated.

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2019, 06:04:36 PM »
Great write up! Thanks for sharing, congrats to you, ( and your wife  ;))

X2, really enjoyed the read!

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
Great story & deer, Congratulations!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2019, 02:26:35 PM »
Nice work!
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2019, 05:10:12 AM »
Congratz! That was a good story. You hunt in a good area sounds like a lot of deer activity. Nice!

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
Been hunting the same 300 acre piece of land for the last 19 years. I say its 300 but   have only sat in 5 locations now in the 19 years on about 50 acres of the 300. In the 19 years I've gone without a deer 3 years and one year was due to my ruptured disk in my back. I spend alot of time on this property and know the deer habits well. I am a strategic stand placer looking for natural pinch points at the edge of thickets between bedding and feeding areas. Last year due to the snow,  was the first year I've still hunted for a long time. I usually pack a lunch and just chill. Seems to work.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2019, 06:40:47 PM by The 3Ps »
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »
congrads sounds like you had a hell of a day

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:04:39 AM »
Lots of memories there congrats