Author Topic: Snow  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
Snow
« on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
So I still have not tagged anything and now have over 2 feet of snow... Last weekend of the season. Any suggestions?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
I am jealous! I am also grateful I’m jealous. Odd feeling.

Anyhow you’re gonna wanna get on the food now I’ll clue ya, these deer are running out of options and time just like the Hunter. Those big bucks know they gotta hit the feed bags especially with the lower than avg weights this year in my opinion or they won’t see another spring.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
What part of nh are you in?

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »
Southern, live in sandown and have access to really good area in Kingston as well

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:06:12 PM »
Nice areas that way, I useto have Hampstead Hannaford as one of my sales accounts and saw many deer early ams all over.

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:21:42 PM »
Yes, that's right in between the 2 areas I hunt. I keep saying I still have a chance. Saw 4 deer in the last 5 mins of season here last year. What type of feed would you be targeting with over 2 feet of snow on the ground... Can't imagine they are pawing up acorns....

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »
Yeah that’s why I was curious of your area, to try and get a gauge on browse and snow depth.

I’m north of you in Maine in line with Milton, NH for a reference point. In my area I just target softwoods with heavy canopy so you can guarantee less snow depth where they can still paw but also chew on stems, twigs, buds etc. I like to look on satellite maps and target the areas that are green and not fall foliage or bare depending when the image was had.

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:06:49 PM »
That's what I was thinking. There are some good hemlock and cedar pockets around. I hit one Monday after the first foot we got and the area only had 2 inches in it. I was shocked not to find a track and that nothing had bedded there during the storm. I then proceeded to find 4 beds in a foot of snow in the middle of a swamp in Kingston. They bedded down on some hummocs

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:44:21 AM »
I’m in the same boat. My dad and I are going for some walks behind our place this weekend. I really didn’t hunt to much last weekend hoping we would have this opportunity, but two feet is a bit much.

Thanks for the advice AA, and good luck this weekend Mtnman!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »
Quick update. Took a quick walk around the property before work this morning. Followed a track and it led through a hemlock grove, and up onto a 4 wheeler trail. I popped up onto the trail to find 6 beds, tracks, and sign all over the place. Hoping it was there day bedding spot yesterday. Great find 200 yards from the house!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:17:10 PM »
Get em!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:27:02 PM »
Thanks AA and good luck to you too Z. Hope you find similar sign and oppurtunity

Offline bikrsrule

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:46:12 PM »
I live in Concord and we only have light snow cover..less than 6" and now probably less with a bit of melting. I was out on Tuesday and followed some tracks that led into some thick oaks, they were into the acorns since the snow was light, wind shifted and 4 deer ran up the hill to far and fast for a shot. I am heading back to the same spot tomorrow with a few friends for a little drive. Good thing is, we all have zone L tags and the others still have their regular tags also..Fingers crossed...

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »
We got another almost 2” last night but the other 18” from the other day has also started deteriorating

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
Headed out yesterday before work. No additional fresh sign in the expected area. Walk about this morning showed beds in my tracks from yesterday morning and before yesterday's snow.... Headed back out

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal