Author Topic: mosquitos!!!  (Read 5096 times)

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
mosquitos!!!
« on: Aug 28, 2004, 08:14:20 PM »
This should be in the grumpy mens shack

What do you all do to beat the skeeters...

I tried to sit in the woods this evening to see some deer and I even put that off stuff on, and I mean a lot of it.  I have some 100% deet and that is OK but is poweful...  if I putit on my forhead when it is hot it breaks out a little..  Well the skeeters ate me alive and sent me home with my tail between my legs

Does the 100 deet dirt scent stuff that I saw at Bass pro shops work?????
Come on Archery season

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
Re: mosquitos!!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »
has anyone tried the ThermaCell Mosquito repellent, they sell for around $20.they run off of butane cartridge., covers 15 ft diameter, thinking about gettin one, anyone used these.
red

Offline ShawnM

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2004, 09:00:27 AM »
I use NO STINCKIN BUG"S Fall blend it work great.

Offline redneck

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2004, 03:08:10 PM »
Don't buy the thermacell mosquito repellent its doesn't work. Only thing It's would be good for is a hand warmer.
Redneck

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2004, 07:18:58 PM »
Here in Maine we have them trained so they only bite the out-of-staters.  ;)

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2004, 05:30:41 AM »
When not worrying about scent,  here is what I will do.  I will take an old button u long sleeved shirt and DOUSE it with repellent.  I make sure I have long jeans on.  The last thing I do is get and old hat and DOUSE that,  especially underneath the brim.  Try not to get the repellent on the sweatband.  Dousing the underside of the brim will keep out about 80% of skeeters.
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2004, 06:56:15 AM »
Don't buy the thermacell mosquito repellent its doesn't work. Only thing It's would be good for is a hand warmer.
Redneck

I don't see how they would work, mosquitos are attracted to heat and CO2.  That is how they find their meals.  A burning fuel stick is going to give off both. ::)  So unless you can lower your body temp by at least 10 degs. and hold your breath the whole time you're outdoors, I'd stick with one of the spray on repellants and specifically one of the scent conscious brands while in the woods.

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2004, 05:26:51 PM »
100% deet or a camo bug suit or at least a headnet and clothing that they can't bite through.  Even then, I hate when the buzz up to your ear.  Gives me the creeps, the willies, and the eeby jeebies...  >:(
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2004, 06:18:30 AM »
when brook fishing in the spring when you have blackflies along with mosqitos
i use old woodsmans fly dope.i don,t know if they sell it anymore but it works
and the smell would probally atract the deer. i have 1 bottle left from the 70s.
its also hard to wash off the smell.kinda like pine tar.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal