Author Topic: New York trapping frustrations  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Mike

• Nubbie
New York trapping frustrations
« on: Oct 19, 2006, 08:38:12 AM »
Is anyone out there a trapper in NY?
If so, Where?
I'm in the Northern Catskills, and DEC has us modifying all of our 330's for beaver. Evidently they don't want any otter fatalities, so we've all got to put our triggers to the far side of the trap, and mechanically "fix" them there, so any otter that might wander through, gets by without problem.
My biggest issue is that all the beaver are getting it in the mid section and back, and they really fight in the trap, tearing up their own pelts, and undue suffering, while they drown a slow death.
It's all about their poster child, "the otter".
This will be the 2nd season that this law has been on the books. I did'nt pursue beaver through the ice last year because of this.
I can't justify destroying a perfectly good trap because of it.
Mike

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
Re: New York trapping frustrations
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2006, 10:00:31 AM »
I started trapping last year, specifically for the beaver on the family farm that were making a mess.  I was using a 220 so no modification were necessary.  I got my hand caught in the 220 and it hurt and swelled like crazy.  I would hate to get it caught in a 330.

Offline Mike

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2006, 06:01:59 AM »
Yeah, them 220's can be fairly "snotty".
I had one across my bare foot once. ----long story........ ;D
There are safety latches on those big bodygrippers for a reason.
It's very important to make good use of them. Also, don't ever wax a bodygripper, unless you're using them on land, and then, be careful.
Mike

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2006, 07:21:03 AM »
yah, i had the safety on just a second before.  Worst part was I took along a neighbor kid to show him how to do it.  I took the safetys off and turned around to tell him something and whack, right acrooss palm.  Well after jumping up and down for a few minutes I explained to him how not to do that.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »
LOL, I bet a 330 would break bone....I feel for you guys

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »
We wax our 220's we use for Fisher we just take a propane tourch and melt the wax at the trigger,no slip after that.BB
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008, 09:03:38 PM by Bailbuster »

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2008, 02:06:17 AM »
I use Duke traps so no modification is necessary. If you measure them the way the DEC does they are under the requirement to be modified. I do however move the triggers over in case an otter comes through.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal