Author Topic: moose calls  (Read 10731 times)

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
moose calls
« on: Aug 26, 2004, 07:00:55 AM »
does anyone know of a good call to bring in a cow moose.

Offline moosetalker

• Nubbie
Re: moose calls
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2004, 05:15:00 PM »
Not one you can BUY  :( you make the sounds of a calf moose like a fawn bleat for a doe.But from a computer its hard to tell you the sound ;D

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:35:28 PM »
ive seen them made from drilling a hole in a large coffee can and tying a thick shoe string in the hole and letting it hang and you put your pointer and thumb at the base of the can around the string and pull down i guess its like the old paper cup phone idea it vibrates the string and echoes out of the coffee can  ???

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2005, 05:54:40 PM »
ive seen them made from drilling a hole in a large coffee can and tying a thick shoe string in the hole and letting it hang and you put your pointer and thumb at the base of the can around the string and pull down i guess its like the old paper cup phone idea it vibrates the string and echoes out of the coffee can  ???

That works really well. We used it a few season and found it a bit tinny but it does bring them in. DO NOT make sounds like a calf moose. That won't work. The idea is to moan like a cow in heat. Side note: The thing with the coffee can only works if the string is wet. The best way to learn is to actually listen to cow moose moaning and try to replicate the sound with your voice.
KRIS
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2005, 04:42:25 PM »
Hey mooseman,  I think he was asking how to call cows in, why would a calf call not work? I would try, but we can't shoot cows where I hunt, or I would have had a moose last year.

why not, I'll tell you about it, I moose hunt with my father inlaw at his cabin in central manitoba, we were comming back after hunting a creek and stoped to call before we had to portage some rapids, my father inlaw was sitting higher on a log and I was down lower, he called and we waited and nothing was happening so he turned to me and said there was nothing here and turned to go back, I stood up and looked right where my father inlaw had been looking and there was a cow looking at us, if we could have shot cows that one would have been mine, I would have to look back at my father inlaw to see how he would react to me shooting when he thought there was nothing.

Anyway we always cow call and she came to it. But wouldn't a cow come to a calf call too.

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2005, 04:32:10 AM »
 Yes of course she would come to calf call at times as she will come to a bull grunt if she's in heat . She will answer the bull often and it can give you an idea what area she's in . ;)

TD

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2005, 10:14:47 AM »
I had a cow draw one year and wasn't able to get out much due to work. My buddy had called me as he shot a calf that was open in general season. He told me where he got it. I went there 3 days later and worked my way along the river bank calf calling. In 20 minutes she came barrelling over the ridge. My buddy told me she was the same moose that was with the calf due to the markings.
I frequently add a calf call in with my cow moans for a little variety. Not as often, maybe 3:1.
Back when my dad started moose calling in 1973, everyone thought he was nuts. He always got his moose. People  used to think it would scare them off if you didn't get it right. Not true. Buy a moose calling tape and practice. It is quite easy to duplicate. Quite fun when they come in close and I play with them a bit. Only had one charge me but he tasted OK in hamburger. One thing I don't agree with is on alot of the tapes I have they say "Don't call too often, every 15-20 minutes". Almost all cow moose I've heard when they are in heat seemed to bellow every 2-5 minutes.
Once had a bull draw and I could hear crashing in the back part of the swamp I was hunting. It was barely enough light so I waited a bit and started with a very soft calf call. I was in a tree stand. After the first call out comes this cow bellowing all the way. She stops at the edge of swamp and looks around. She bellows continuously for the next few minutes, then goes into brush and keeps bellowing. Nothing like a live decoy. About 20 minutes later she is at the edge of swamp and acting strange as a bull was on her back. They moved around a bit and when he was done with her he got off and stood broadside and shook. That was the last thing he remembered.
I have used the tin can but prefer the mouth. Less chance of mistake as it always seems to get in the way and another thing to carry.
Sorry there guys I'm getting off topic a bit.

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2005, 07:01:45 AM »
my buddy got his cow last year now its my turn. i have gotten a bull permit and will probally use calling to lure him in. i have the coffe can and another  with reads that u blow on. it will be fun.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »
They work so-so but get yourself a tape, your voice works better.  Lots of hints and tips as you don't go out and start going willy nilly. Cheap investment.  There are some tricks for different situations that help. Good luck.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2006, 11:12:50 AM by Terrygonefishing »

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2005, 06:27:14 AM »
yeh ,when i bought this call it came with the tape but it still takes alot of practice to make it sound right. i should take the tape in the woods and play the back end of it but they don,t alow that up here in maine.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2005, 04:52:24 PM »
Sounds like you have the Wayne Carlton moose calling and moose hunting tape and call, I have one too. I bring it along but I think I would rather do a voice call, the bought call is too loud and sounds funny probably works but I would rather have a bag of tricks then a plastic tube to blow on. I forgot what a calf call sounds like, I will have to borrow my hunting partners tape.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2005, 06:42:20 PM »
yeh ,when i bought this call it came with the tape but it still takes alot of practice to make it sound right. i should take the tape in the woods and play the back end of it but they don,t alow that up here in maine.

You don't have to be exact Mr deerhunter. I have had heard many cows calling and you don't have to be exact. There is a wide range of tones. If you get a bull in the thick of the rut, he will come into a loud fart. Just start practicing now and you should be ready by fall. Don't worry how stupid you sound. Every morning when you go for a bowel movement just let her rip. Everyone in your house expects strange noises coming from the bathroom ;D

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2005, 06:42:43 AM »
hey thanks for all the advice. i,m going to start practicing soon.as for doing it on the can, i don,t think so. my wife isugly enough in the morning as it is. don,t want make it any worse. ugly disposition not looking.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2005, 03:21:28 AM »
Poor you, but you could give her ear plugs ;D.  Good luck practicing. You will feel stupid and awkward at first but stick with it. Its lots of fun, but so can an ugly disposition wife be too ???

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2005, 04:19:10 PM »
My wife doesn't mind my moose calls at all, but she grew up in a moose hunters house.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal