Author Topic: ATV/UTV food plot implements?  (Read 8528 times)

Offline Chaki17

• Spiked
ATV/UTV food plot implements?
« on: Feb 09, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
Anybody out there using there atv/utv for making food plots? I've been looking at a few disc harrows and just wondering if any of them are worth their price. I know it's not as good as a tractor but not in the cards at the moment. I've looked at the groundmax one but think they might beat up the machine too much. Thanks in advance

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
Re: ATV/UTV food plot implements?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2013, 09:18:47 AM »
there are guys at my camp that use an atv all the time for plots and it does a great job
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »

Does any one have an old set of small set of the 2 part dice setting around in the bushes take them apart
     use the front part of them       The Old Antique style   Got a set about 4' wide

Offline Chaki17

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2013, 11:01:57 AM »
I know where there is an old rake in a hedge row that I'm going to dig out come spring.  Looked at the King kutter and a couple of the other models not sure how well the harrows work. If I can find a decent used on think it will be worth it.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »

Is it a rack or an old spike tooth harrow

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
 There's a couple old discs where I hunt but I think they are to corroded to make functional again. I considered trying to make something out of one, but they have been out there a long time.

Offline Chaki17

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
One is an old spike tooth and there is another that looks like it may have been used for bunching up hay maybe. I figure I could use it possibly to rake the weeds after I kill them off. Worth a shot not doing anything sitting in the hedgerow rusting away.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »

I'd grab them if I could  most of the time old is a hole lot better than new and a hole lot cheaper
                      I have some spots way back in and I don't need anybody to now I'm there so I do a lot of it by
                      hand. The less people that now the better ( This is what I use a lot )

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 03:30:01 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Chaki17

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
I've done that on some old logging trails with a just a rake.  Using the throw and gro stuff works pretty good just roughing the ground up a bit. This year going a little bigger with hopefully three 1/4 acre plots.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »

I keep adding a little more and more each year , They sure love those back out of the way spot's , You'll do good  ;D ;D

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »

Tractor supply has a tool for wheelers that rips roots out of the ground, then all you need is the old favorite a set of bedsprings to drag to smooth the ground before planting.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
I've done that on some old logging trails with a just a rake.  Using the throw and gro stuff works pretty good just roughing the ground up a bit. This year going a little bigger with hopefully three 1/4 acre plots.
The more food the better. ;) Keep us posted on your progress.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
  • I grunt, therfore I am.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
         Tractor supply has a tool for wheelers that rips roots out of the ground, then all you need is the old favorite a set of bedsprings to drag to smooth the ground before planting.
Sure would like to know the name of it. I could brush hog then run that over it and it would rip out redbrush roots (red osier dogwood) ?? Thanks 30-30
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal