Author Topic: Am I alone here?  (Read 17034 times)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
Am I alone here?
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:04:17 AM »
Some thoughts that a few years ago I would have thought were crazy...

I think it's possible that the wealth of the American people may evaporate before their eyes (like many already experienced with the housing crisis, created by the very people still calling the shots)

I think the US dollar may well lose it's status as the worlds reserve currency to the Chinese yuan. (The british Sterling was the world's reserve currency prior to the US dollar replacing it. The Sterling lost 90% of it's value when that happened.)

I think the stock market may crash...hard.

I think this may all happen... by design.

Just wondering if I'm the only one out there thinking about this stuff. We live in scary times right now. Feel free to give "you're nuts & here's why" input if you have any.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Am I alone here?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »
Cost of living keeps climbing, everything the working man does cost more from Health Insurance to a gallon of gas. Pay increases cant keep up with it. Add in all the freebees we need to pay for the the current Admin in Washington is giving away.(It got him reelected..... ::)The wealthy are ok,The sponges on the bottom are ok we are covering them,It's the middle of the road working man and small business that is in a pickle.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
It's the middle of the road working man and small business that is in a pickle.

It just feels like the pickle is about to get turned into relish.... I hope I'm wrong and just turning into an old fart.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »
We live in a time where I may never be able to own a house, pay for my kid to go to college, RETIRE, or maybe even open my own business and be successful....I work my bollucks off and dont have much to show for it, I only recently (this week) started making over 30k a year and I have a BA and a AAS, My expenses are pretty high even with the place I rent being a steal...It sucks...I have to make sure I dont get incredibly sick or injured because I dont have health insurance and I believe due to Obamacare I will have to pay a fine at the end of the year if I do not have it...but I can't afford it so how can I? I can't even raise chickens at my house for food because the Landlord doesn't want me to, that is why I hunt fish and trap not just for enjoyment but to feed and provide for my family and even then its not cheap to do and I can get ticketed for it if I forget something silly like dotting an I on my tag...our country is going down fast and it is a shame
Take a Kid outside...

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »
Although I am not a  American ,I am a North American and most of what happens is by design .The rich will always have the upper hand ,it's just the way that it is ! .There are so many factors involved and I am glad that I don't have to decide which to pursue ,but I understand your worries .Conspiracy theories are all around us and telling the truth from false facts is all but impossible .We have a good health system ( Canada ),but we pay more for fuel and hydro then we sell it to the USA for ? Our economy isn't feeling this reccesion as badly as what you are feeling it ,but we don't have the volume of people that you do .I have heard many conspiracy theories ,a thinning of the herd as it were was one ,and this one I worry about ! war was always a good way to boost a economy ,but a nuclear war doesn't make any sense........nothing left over after the dust settles ? Best rule is watch out  for you and your families and be awake when something does happen ,be prepared as you can be .I am always learning survival skills and try to be as prepared as one can be ............my thoughts

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »
A country can not survive if it imports everything under the sun.This country use to manufacture things and export them.We live on some of the most fertile land in the world and do little to per-mote farming? Now China and these other over sea's  manufacturer's have the market cornered , some straight out of the USA! why? because they get the labor for pennies on our dollar! How?? they do not live/work the same as us. What's OSHA? Human Rights? Child labor?They have no bureaucratic BS in their work force, and move product!If they can not follow same work ethic, why do business with them? The same people who have allowed this to happen have squandered away every dime we ever gave them! We bring our kids up trying to teach them to save. But you cant save what you do not have! Our own government spends everything they have,and borrows more? It's time they start paying for their own Medical insurance and buying their own cars, paying for own fuel and lunches,golf games, etc! Find a way to bring back Manufacturing to export, and Farming to be sold here and we will be fine!
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:56:59 AM »
I agree with hollywood that the stock market will one day crash..... I also feel the country will expirience a major economic downturn that will cause prices of food and necessites to skyrocket....... I feel i could survive if a had to live my life in the woods and only return to civilization periodically for supplies........ Sadly the younger xbox generation with no outdoor skills will be at the mercy of the government....... Stock up on ammo traps and fish hooks people  :D

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »

I have read all the responses to this post & I agree w/everything every1 says. Here's the thing, it is every1's fault, there are too many that want something for nothing, they want the government to take care of them, & we let them do it. I'm 64 yrs old, I retired 2 1/2 yrs ago. When I was @ the Social Security office there wasn't another person w/.gray hair, they younger than me, signing up for SS disability or something. Maybe I'm the idiot, but I was brought up that if you want something, you have to work for it. I worked injured @ times, I had to support my family. I raised beef, pigs, chickens, & had a big garden so my grocery was low. I had 4 boys to take care of. I hunted & fished which helped. I worked construction which was seasonal, so winter layoffs hurt but I made do. I did collect unemployment, I don't consider it a handout, the employers pay unemployment ins. tax to cover it. What I'm trying to say is we as Americans probably will fall into some sort of hardship in our lives, but a lot of us will hump up & do what we have to do to survive. I think that most of us on MHF are self reliant people & will survive most anthing, that's what hunting teaches us. The problem is the government is spending way too much w/not enough income. The companies that cut their workers back 2009-10 won't hire them back until they expand their business. The ones that kept their jobs worked harder to keep them, so production remained the same or in some cases increased. God I rambling, I could go on forever on this subject. So I'll give someone a chance.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »
The amount of Govt.handout's is killing us all. Unemployment for a layoff is NOT a handout in my book. Feels like we are preaching to the choir here though. ;)

The farming and Manufacturing are a sad truth as well. The bulk of mills here are being torn down or converted to Housing. The only farms left here to speak of are the Cranberry farms that have been handed down for generations. They haven't been turned into subdivisions in most cases because they are wetlands and cannot be filled in. Saving.........with what? I have a few toys and live fairly comfortable but by no means extravagant. There is no extra unless I want to sit idle for every hour I'm not working. I refuse to do that. My Gramps worked every day of his adult life saving for retirement and dropped 2 years later rototilling his garden...(Not a bad way to go by the way).......
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »
The amount of Govt.handout's is killing us all. Unemployment for a layoff is NOT a handout in my book. Feels like we are preaching to the choir here though. ;.....
             Yea I know but it feels good posting about it. Back when Dom & I were youngn's there was a saying " If it feels good, do it." HA ;D

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
The amount of Govt.handout's is killing us all. Unemployment for a layoff is NOT a handout in my book. Feels like we are preaching to the choir here though. ;)

The farming and Manufacturing are a sad truth as well. The bulk of mills here are being torn down or converted to Housing. The only farms left here to speak of are the Cranberry farms that have been handed down for generations. They haven't been turned into subdivisions in most cases because they are wetlands and cannot be filled in. Saving.........with what? I have a few toys and live fairly comfortable but by no means extravagant. There is no extra unless I want to sit idle for every hour I'm not working. I refuse to do that. My Gramps worked every day of his adult life saving for retirement and dropped 2 years later rototilling his garden...(Not a bad way to go by the way).......

Is MPG (Maine Potato Growers) still going strong up there?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
             Yea I know but it feels good posting about it. Back when Dom & I were youngn's there was a saying " If it feels good, do it." HA ;D

Yes Sir.... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
Is MPG (Maine Potato Growers) still going strong up there?

Maine is my getaway and camp is just a little south of potato country.   8)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »

I thought the saying then was " saddle the horses we need to go to town"..... ::) ::) ::)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
well i do indeed agree with unemployment is not a handout.....I have to say some people of different gererations are sure taking advantage of this to either milk it to retirement time or stay out of work......I know several people who just stay home and use the system so they do not have to work....keep getting extensions and milkin it.  As for disability social security it is as well not suppose to be a handout however.......I totally agree there are some that need this but I also feel most are just a way to get out of work..........I say make people work when it applies....I just read an article last week that say NYS has the highest jobs available at the moment.........so instead of wii gamers.....xbox slayers........put them to work....make them go..forget the extensions............force them back to work.............I think they have given the unemployed enough extension........the worthless unemployed are all around us...........I have worked though the last 2 years of illness and was declined by ssdi.......and had to go back to work after 2 weeks of loosing some body parts and reconstucting them......and I did so gladly............although a day off now and again is great!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal