Author Topic: Bucks still rubbing and making scrapes in MA  (Read 4683 times)

Offline trying to get my first

• 6 Pointer
Bucks still rubbing and making scrapes in MA
« on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »
Hi everyone! Just reporting in from the woods. Bucks are still making fresh scrapes. I found 6 fresh scrapes within 50 yards of each other and one brand new rub last weekend and had the buck come by a few days later trotting and grunting a lil bit. My question is is this late for a buck to be doing this? I was grunt calling first weekend of December and i had a 2 1/2 year old 8pt come in. I shot him and his glands on his back legs were soaked. Seems like they are still rutting? I'm going out all this week and next week. Should i still try soft grunt calls? Or the can call? Or just shut up and wait lol Thanks! let me know what you guys are seeing in the woods

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Bucks still rubbing and making scrapes in MA
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
Many times and many areas especially if there is an early birth of fawns the doe 1/2 year olds will come into estrous...not uncommon at all...throughout the midwest many hunters depend on the second rut to harvest the big boys...probably with the mild temps the last couple years around the North East it is happening more instead of them all just going into survival mode...good sign, put one down!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »
My buddy got a huge ten point in mass last week that seemed to be still in full rut with a huge swollen neck! The buck cleaned completely out still weighed 240 lbs!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
My buddy got a huge ten point in mass last week that seemed to be still in full rut with a huge swollen neck! The buck cleaned completely out still weighed 240 lbs!
WHO is that ;
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2012, 04:42:55 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »

Got any pictures??
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal