Author Topic: 1st bow advice??  (Read 8116 times)

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
1st bow advice??
« on: Sep 13, 2006, 02:22:25 PM »
recently bought a house that falls into a special archery zone and I've only hunted firearms.  I've been getting some great info here as far as accessories and techniques and I know it's gonna come down to personal preference, comfort, price....etc etc., but I guess my question is...what would you, with your experience as bow hunters, reccommend as a first bow set up for someone who is just starting out?  ???  I'll be doing mostly ground blind and tree stand. 

~Scott~

Offline cdc

• Forked
Re: 1st bow advice??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2006, 03:30:36 PM »
Well if you go see our good friends up at Howells, Scott will set you up nice...An entry level PSE would be a good start....The beginner level isn't too bad on the pocket....and it will be set up with all the acc.
 Or you could go all in and get a Mathews, or Bowtech...But that'll set you back around 8bills. :-\

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2006, 04:27:26 PM »
I shoot a martin jaguar. My advice is to get a bow that feels comfortable to you. I would recommend as a newbie to bowhunting that you shoot a bow that is between 45-50 lbs. That is plenty of power to kill a deer. Also a whisker biscuit arrow rest and sites are a must. set you self up and practice, practice, practice. Don't attempt any shots over 30 yards. most shots with a bow will be 20 yards or less.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 04:39:09 PM »
Well if you go see our good friends up at Howells, Scott will set you up nice...An entry level PSE would be a good start....The beginner level isn't too bad on the pocket....and it will be set up with all the acc.
 Or you could go all in and get a Mathews, or Bowtech...But that'll set you back around 8bills. :-\

this is great advice, PSE used to be considered, PSE- piece of sh*t equipment, but they have caught up to the competition, its not just a good beginner bow but becoming a good bow period, and like cdc said, its easy on the wallet.

my personal preference is HOYT.

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:00:45 PM »
i'm a hoyt guy as well . i would go to l.l. bean and get set up. that way if you don't like it or end up really enjoying it then you can return it or up grade it at no lose to you. how can you go wrong. nothing against howell's or any one else, but nobody beats beans ;)

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2006, 08:03:29 AM »
If you are serious about bow hunting, then I recommend purchasing the best equipment you can afford.  Shop around, read articles, compare different brands on line, ask questions here and to anyone who will give you their ear.  My bow (High Country) is at least 13 years old, and it looks and shoots like it just came out of the box.  I recently upgraded the sight and rest to Carolina Archery products and I am very pleased with the quality and performance.  If I had to do it over again I would most likely go with a Hoyt bow, Hoyt quiver (removable four arrow), Carolina Archery rest and sight, and all the Simms devices to quite it down including a stabilizer.  Good luck and let us know what you get!

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2006, 12:45:26 PM »
thanks for the input guys.....I figured between 5 and 6 hundred to get all set up.  My father in law spends alot of time at howell's and between him and Scott, I could probably get a decent deal....I do like ifishhi's idea about upgrading through Bean's, just not sure what kind of coin they're getting for a complete set up.  Being 6'+ and just a tad over 200 lbs... :P, I was thinking abouta little more draw than 50 lbs......buddy of mine pulls 60 and that's not too bad holding back. 

I'm heading to Loudon this weekend for the Cup Race, but as soon as I get back Monday, I'm heading over to get fitted...thanks again.

Scott
~Scott~

Offline FIRESTORMHTR

• Forked
  • 8 Point
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2006, 05:23:47 PM »
 just make sure you get one your really comfortable with, I bought a PSE FireStormLite last year and I love it,but Mathews just came out with that's almost identicle The XT.60 to 70 lbs is good,it's like most things you buy,your paying for the brand name,as long as you have that Bow tuned to the max,and practice,practice and practice.Any brand name Bow will do you fine for hunting.Good luck and shoot straight.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006, 05:26:38 PM by FIRESTORMHTR »
Dave

Offline esox slayer

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:45:53 PM »
My first bow still suits me as my only bow and I've had no reasons yet to bother changing.  I shoot a Darton Viper, set at 65 pounds,   2216 arrows cut to 25 1/2 inches.  Works for me and I just can't find reason to trade it in.....

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »
well guys...I ended up finding a Hoyt, all decked out with fiber optic sights, whisker buiscuit, string loop, string silencers, limb savers, cobra release and removable quiver. pawn shop in the next town over had taken it in from a 47 y/o guy that needed cash, and they weren't gonna put it up for sale until this weekend, but I think he got sick of me calling... ;D

Left handed, all realtree camo,  29" draw lengh, 65 lb. pull....fits me perfect!  $175.00

Now I've just gotta get some shooting time in before I hit the woods....thanks again for all your input.

Scott
~Scott~

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2006, 01:55:19 PM »
well guys...I ended up finding a Hoyt, all decked out with fiber optic sights, whisker buiscuit, string loop, string silencers, limb savers, cobra release and removable quiver. pawn shop in the next town over had taken it in from a 47 y/o guy that needed cash, and they weren't gonna put it up for sale until this weekend, but I think he got sick of me calling... ;D

Left handed, all realtree camo,  29" draw lengh, 65 lb. pull....fits me perfect!  $175.00

Now I've just gotta get some shooting time in before I hit the woods....thanks again for all your input.

Scott

Sweeeet deal Scott!!!  ;D
Adam

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2006, 02:04:56 PM »
just for the record......got a chance to get down to Howell's and had my bow setup checked out.....pro shop said it was in great shape and a h#ll of a steal for the money.   shot it a couple dozen times in their range (10, 15 & 20 yds.) fairly decent groups for not having released an arrow out of it. Major concern was figuring out what the pins were set at and getting professional approval for my "off the whim" purchase.

so....yesterday I finally get a chance to shoot at home into a cardboard box I stuffed with old clothes and taped a Thompson Center rifle target (8 1/2" x 11") to the box.

real  consistent shots at 15 and 20 yards, with a little pull to the right....couple inches.  I move to 25 and 30 yards.....same thing.....good groups with a little pull....4 inches or so.   I see the inevitable and bring my pin a pinch over to the left of target and boom....1st shot, dead on...and kept consistently within kill zone of any deer for the next dozen or so shots.

Just for sh!ts and giggles I pace off 40 yards from the box and turn around.(bottom pin is set for 30 yds.)  1st thought was.....never even hit the box...well....I draw back....line my bottom pin just over center and release....definately heard it punch through the box, but couldn't see the arrow so I walk up to it and there it was......dead nut center.   ;D I was like.....lucky shot, so I tried 9 more times from 40 and stayed within kill zone every time. 

I'm too new at bow shooting to even qualify for bragging, and I wouldn't even try a 40 yard shot at a deer..(well...maybe  ;) ).....but it definately gave me enough confidence to swap target tips for broadheads and hit the woods.

with any luck, I'll be posting some of my own pics on here

~Scott~

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2006, 02:43:40 PM »
just for the record......got a chance to get down to Howell's and had my bow setup checked out.....pro shop said it was in great shape and a h#ll of a steal for the money.   shot it a couple dozen times in their range (10, 15 & 20 yds.) fairly decent groups for not having released an arrow out of it. Major concern was figuring out what the pins were set at and getting professional approval for my "off the whim" purchase.

so....yesterday I finally get a chance to shoot at home into a cardboard box I stuffed with old clothes and taped a Thompson Center rifle target (8 1/2" x 11") to the box.

real  consistent shots at 15 and 20 yards, with a little pull to the right....couple inches.  I move to 25 and 30 yards.....same thing.....good groups with a little pull....4 inches or so.   I see the inevitable and bring my pin a pinch over to the left of target and boom....1st shot, dead on...and kept consistently within kill zone of any deer for the next dozen or so shots.

Just for sh!ts and giggles I pace off 40 yards from the box and turn around.(bottom pin is set for 30 yds.)  1st thought was.....never even hit the box...well....I draw back....line my bottom pin just over center and release....definately heard it punch through the box, but couldn't see the arrow so I walk up to it and there it was......dead nut center.   ;D I was like.....lucky shot, so I tried 9 more times from 40 and stayed within kill zone every time. 

I'm too new at bow shooting to even qualify for bragging, and I wouldn't even try a 40 yard shot at a deer..(well...maybe  ;) ).....but it definately gave me enough confidence to swap target tips for broadheads and hit the woods.

with any luck, I'll be posting some of my own pics on here

Coooool.  Looking forward to them  ;D
Adam

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2006, 06:28:30 PM »
Good Luck Scott! Sounds like you have a great setup and have been doing your practice. When you are up in your stand, it doesn't hurt to fire off a practice arrow at the end of your hunt the way you walk out. Shooting out of a stand is different and it is good practice.

Mike
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline buddah

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:28:39 AM »

Would'nt this adjustment cause a shot to go further to the right?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal