Author Topic: Grinding sausage on my own  (Read 18605 times)

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
Grinding sausage on my own
« on: Oct 29, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »
O.K. so I was Wally World the other day and saw an el'cheep-O hand cranked grinder from Easton Outdoors. I went and got it along with a natural casing sausage kit from Easton as well. I figured I would try a cheep set up first to be sure this is something I want to continue doing before I jump all in. Easton has recommended directions for making the sausage but I a few questions.

1- I am planing on adding some pork to the venison, they recommend 30%. What is the concensus out there?

2- Do you mix your seasoning in with the meat before its ground or after? I am planning on trying to fill some of the casings and if you mix the seasoning after then you would have to regrind all of it to fill the casings. Is that how its done or is everything premixed before grinding?

3- If a pre-grinding is done do you grind the venison and pork separately and them mix them?

4- and lastly, most of my venison to grind is in pretty small chunks but I have to cut up the pork I plan to use, the smaller the better for ginding?

Thanks for any info.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Grinding sausage on my own
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2012, 05:40:10 AM »
I am about to experiment myself...I'll let you know...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2012, 06:19:15 AM »
I have a large electric grinder so It's able to chew up some big chunks,I would make both the same size if I were you. .25-40% seems like an average #. What does the seasoning say as far as when to add? I mix the pork and Venison before grinding. I usually grind once coarse and add seasonings and then regrind. No reason you cant add it before and do one grind. Sausage tends to be a little better if not ground as fine as burger would be IMO. Colder the meat is the easier it will be to grind too. I add ice to the Mix before grinding the final time usually. The casing stuffing is the fun part. Plan on an extra set of hands. I use a jerkey shooter for that step now. If I can help more just ask bud. I have done a bunch of this stuff.All experimental, and some the wrong way.... ;D ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
We mix 50/50 with pork butt, both cubed in 1-1.5" pieces. Mix meat and seasoning together and grind once right into the casing. I try to keep my meat half frozen, so it's a little stiff but not solid. I ground one batch twice and didn't like it at all, sausage is much better with a large grind.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
The Kit I bought has Bratwurst, beer and cheese, and Italian. The grinder came with the tubes for the casings. The only place I can clamp the grinder to , however, is my coffee table. My counter does not have enough of a lip and my table is an antique handed from the family.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »
I always ground straight into casings, just make sure you try to keep air pockets out. If you use natural casings rinse them out with water. Find one end and run cold tap water into it, then just work it through the whole length.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
1. We use 5lbs of pork scrap with 15 lbs of venison.
2. We mix the seasoning in after we grind both the pork and the venison up.
3. We grind the pork and venison separately then mix in the seasoning with both. Then run both threw the grinder again with a fine plate in the grinder.
4. The smaller the better for grinding.

halfrack33

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »
1- I am planing on adding some pork to the venison, they recommend 30%. What is the concensus out there?

I would say that sounds about right. I don't like to add too too much. I'd say 30-40% sounds right. I've made sausage about a dozen times and this seemed like a good ratio.

2- Do you mix your seasoning in with the meat before its ground or after? I am planning on trying to fill some of the casings and if you mix the seasoning after then you would have to regrind all of it to fill the casings. Is that how its done or is everything premixed before grinding?

I ALWAYS mix seasoning after grinding. It gets the flavor throughout the meat much better.

3- If a pre-grinding is done do you grind the venison and pork separately and them mix them?

N/A

4- and lastly, most of my venison to grind is in pretty small chunks but I have to cut up the pork I plan to use, the smaller the better for ginding?

Smaller is good. I'd take a little time to get rid of as much silver skin as you can. It can eat up cheaper electric grinders, and will just be a pain in the but with a hand grinder. 

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. guys! I will put it into use when I get a chance.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
Can you shim the counter with a small board or 2?
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:04:44 AM »
Make a bench in the garage... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
Can you shim the counter with a small board or 2?

The lip on the counter is maybe an inch

Make a bench in the garage... ;D

I have a bench in the garage but its not the cleanest with grease and oil all over  ::)

The coffee table should work fine and I can sit down while messing with the grindinig.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
I have a bench in the garage but its not the cleanest with grease and oil all over  ::)

I always put a sheet of clean plastic down...   Makes for easy clean up...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:20:05 AM »
I use the flower shop table ::) ::) ;DWith plastic.....

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
WELP, I would say you guys got it covered, I will save the typing ;D
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal