Author Topic: BIRD thread!  (Read 10572 times)

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
Re: BIRD thread!
« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
I smoke almost all my ducks, breast out the bird, cut the breast in two along the tendon and remove that and trim to your liking. Soak in a brine for a couple days, 1 cup brown sugar, half cup salt, cover with water. Smoke however, I use a little chief, I pull my birds just as they start to change color from grey to darker. Oh soo good!!! They'll be pretty greasy, I wrap in paper towel, and throw in baggy in fridge,

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »
Took my dad out this morning, was cold! In the trip across the pond guns got douched with spray, so we fought frozen actions all morning long! Only killed 6, Shoulda had several more, but thats duck hunting. Had one lone goose fly out and set down aways out of the deeks, after a bit he got up and came for us low and slow...I eject shells, throw in the 3 1/2's...here he comes, "Take 'em!!"...no shots ...swear words...benellis all froze up...ill throw up some pics of the brown mess later today.

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #32 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »
I had some incredible shooting yesterday, some huge flocks of big fat northerners fully committed to the decoys, made for easy pickings!

I went back today hoping for a repeat, day started out slow, when I saw a small flock of white pick up in the middle of the lake. I got real aggressive on the Canada call and sure enough these dirty birds turned and come running straight to me, got close swung around and filed right in at about 45 yards. Popped off all three rounds and managed to smoke two!

My first snow geese!
Unfortunately the mallards had become quite wary and weren't being productive.

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2012, 06:37:57 AM »
you are the duck slayer !!!!! hell of a job . looks like you are in the zone, keep it up. i have been busy , shot my elk 6 pt. and just wacked a 28'' muley . hell of a season for me. ;D ;D ;D
LIVING THE DREAM IN BIG SKY MONTANA !!!

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
Way to go man!! I've been doing a little deer chasing here and there, but I've been consumed with fowl to the point I didn't even buy an elk tag knowing I wouldn't put forth an effort. Better get some pics of your critters up, the Montana board is lacking antlers these days   :D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
Nice pile of birds... Congratulation on the smows..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
Nice pile of birds... Congratulation on the smows..

Thanks, the snows were a real surprise. I couldn't believe how well they responded to the Canada call!

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
A buddy and I got out yesterday after a failed attempt at elk hunting in the morning, managed some great shooting, not much for mallards, but some other fine specimens  :D

We each managed to dump a redhead. One was full plume and absolutely gorgeous, I wanted him to go on the wall bad, neither of us knew which one we killed, so we drew straws, my buddy won, he's going in his wall.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal