Author Topic: Preperation and a question  (Read 1863 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
Preperation and a question
« on: Sep 15, 2012, 06:10:20 PM »
Did a bit of prep work today. Checked in with a couple of my landowner friends and re-secured permission. Did some tractor work too. My father hasn't cut the grass in "the back field" for a couple of years. Talking about 6 -7 acre dog leg portion at the end of his clover hay field. Took the bush hog and cut a couple trails through the tall grass in hopes that they will become travel ways for canines in the next couple of months '
   On a completely unrelated note I have a question. I am a self taught and piss poor trapper which is why I love it so much, learn a little more every season, catch a little more each year, or at least some thing different. I know enough to know that there are no hard and fast rules for making sets, everybody has there own preference but here is something I'm considering. I have acquired and have in my freezer about 100 lbs of "dog bones" given to me by a local meat processor. These are large bones cut into pieces suitable for a pet. They are full of marrow with bits of meat scrap attached. I am planning on a simple set plan of digging a hole in a hillside, bank or similar, burying a bone or two or three and placing a flat set in front of the dig. Thoughts? 
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
Re: Preperation and a question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2012, 06:17:21 PM »
should work. place the set against a backer or add a tuff of hay with the bone set under it. the tuff will add a lil eye appeal . but hey, I'm a self taught piss poor trapper myself.  ;D

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
should work trial and error is the best way ! if you have any with some length to em like 5or 6inches you could bury one end in the ground leave the other sticking up and make a scent post set out of it with a lil fox urine.
Bad decisions make for good stories !

Offline TRAPPER7

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2012, 07:40:53 AM »
ABSOLUTELY!!

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
If you have the extra traps, set one directly behind the intentional set.  This will catch the smarter, educated animals that may approach from the back side.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal