Author Topic: New to trapping , new to forum  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Derek Welch

• Nubbie
New to trapping , new to forum
« on: Jun 22, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »
Hello,

My name is Derek Welch and I'm from south east Kansas. I have just completed my fur harvest course through the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks. This season will be my first and I'm going to trap with a friend of mine who has years of experience.
  I'm interested in Bobcat, Coyote, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Raccoon, and Cottontail Rabbit.

Derek Welch

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
Re: New to trapping , new to forum
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2006, 12:33:46 PM »
Welcome to the site Derek, I think you're the first guy from Kansas to make it on here. I'm from Maine, but am on the phone through work with a guy that lives near Pittsburg, KS. You guys have a lot of deer with big racks out there. He bow hunts and sends me pictures quite often.

I used to trap along with my brothers when I was a kid, but haven't done any for years. I'm sure that after taking your trapping course and leaning from your friend, that you'll be catching all of the animals on your list. Good luck to ya.

This site is pretty slow this time of year. They are all on a sister site to this one - www.myfishfinder.com If you like to fish, you should check it out.

Offline Derek Welch

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »
Thanks,

Pittsburg, KS is about a 30 minute drive from here. We own some land along a newly opened lake called Ceder creek lake. In the evening the deer travel down to the Marmaton river bottom, the bottom is where their food plots are. Early in the morning they travel back and bed down for the day on and around our land. Deer hunting has always been pretty productive here. Most of the local land owners allow me to hunt there places, but some of the others lease hunting rights to hunters from out of state. The Bobwhite quail are making a really strong come back as well which has me pretty excited. I haven't hunted them for years but I will this year.  I also enjoy hunting reptiles and amphibian in the wild, I don't harm them just enjoy seeing them then letting them go.

Derek Welch

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2006, 06:27:38 AM »
Welcome to the site Derek. I hope to see lots of pictures posted of what you catch and shoot. This is a great place to share information.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Derek Welch

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:49:53 PM »
Thank you adkRoy,  I’ll try not to disappoint you.  I’m already getting experience at trapping coons from around a buddy’s chicken and rabbit cages. He lives right on the Marmaton river here so I’ve caught 6 in large live traps in the last two weeks. I released them all a few miles away on that same river.

Derek Welch

Offline Derek Welch

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:19:01 PM »
Well it's getting about that time of year again !!

Derek Welch

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal