Author Topic: Well my first time out went.....haywire.....they found my deer today  (Read 12970 times)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
First off congrats to all who have a deer so far this year!..Sorry I haven't been on that much but CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK to all of you.....Sorry to say I haven't been wanting to chat so much but I do have a little bit of a story to share about my weekend out........With lots of things weighing heavy on my mind....I went out against my better judgement and much persuasion by a couple of old crows.....(they are great friends)  Anyways off to Lyons, NY I go Saturday at 3 am to be there by 5 at latest....first day ever and friends did everything possible (short of sticking a deer in front of me) to try to get me a deer to shoot...Now I am not even sure my heart is in this so I beg them to just leave me in the woods to sit and I will be fine.....About half way through the day around 2 pm I hear so light blowing but with the winds I am not sure where it is really coming from.....So I get myself ready just in case.......might even be feeling a little anxious now and my attention is a little more focused.  I hear it again two or three times......Well I didn't look behind me cause the tree is huge that I am sitting by and I didn't want to scare it way in hopes it comes forward.....(I forgot to mention that there is a pasture directly behind me at 15 yards or so) Anyways I sit it out and now I hear this thing pretty much breathing down my neck......and a light blow again....pssst..psst....so now I am getting mad it wont show it self.....Anyways a few more minutes and I hear a short grunt.....didn't sound like a deer so I called quietly on the 2 way and ask can anyone see behind me....And I get a reply that raises the hair on my neck "UM................YEP AND YOU BETTER TAKE LEAVE RIGHT NOW...the CALIFORNIA COWS ARE STARING A HOLE AT YOUR TREE" so I laugh and get up and turn around to see what he meant.........I see some huge cows just coming in and yep the california cows were checking me out but good.....Only problem was I was in a bull pasture (bull without horns) and they was liking me.  If I werent so scared I would have laughed.......(i did later) however this one COW that was about 15 feet away kept trying to get closer to me..snorted and made all kinds of grunting noise....only had one little barbed wire holding him away from me....then stomped at me and the 2 way radio say "get the F*^%&* out of there you dip s9689t"..  I didnt want to ask why......I just ran.....he wanted my orange vest so I figure....or maybe I am full of bull quap.....so no deer seen the first day out but full of a bull quappy story...lol guess it was funny from the guys point of view....had to laugh

Second day of getting out and about was near the same spot but from can see the pasture better....I just set down get next to a tree and started to wait...not sure if I was praying for a deer or for the day to end......So I set in the windy forest and watched this reveign in front of me, ditch to my left and logging road to the right......I barely got the gun off my shoulder and getting ready for the day....and I hear a noise coming from the pasture so I am already to have angus for supper........so I figure I am going to have to take up steak and move on (pun intended) .......I see these branches keep moving off to my left from all the wind........just barely 7:10am and its hot out.....more noise......more wind.....and then all of a sudden here comes the branches up from the left ditch........and the branches keep coming and not even paying attention to me and where I am.....I realize then the branches are a 6 pointer and he is doing this hop on all 4 legs.....boing boing boing.........not sure why but he still didn't see me at 20 yards and heading my way at about a 45 degree angle....so now I realize I gotta shoot this sucker........full attention now and not on my troubles......he hops right past me at 15 yards so of course i pop him.........I broke his shoulder on his right front....as I shot he hopped up so a dead shot was just a broken shoulder blade and bad leg.......I took another shot right under his belly as he hopped one more time......I call and ask for help he is coming their way.....please take him down and no one saw him except to see him go to the pasture and to the creek bed.....well after 6 pm last night....searching all day (I never gave up until my friends pretty much dragged me out by my hair).........I did shoot my first deer ever..............sails deflated..........I didn't put him down.......now I am sick that I didn't take this great animal all the way down.......I can only hope someone got him and took him all the way out of his misery......hope this feeling goes away cause the guilt is overwhelming.........great to be outdoors for a few but not this way......
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011, 04:19:54 PM by loonyone »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Well my first time out went.....haywire.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 11:20:10 AM »
Unfortunately it happens to all of us. I remember every deer I hit and lost. You just have to get back out there and stick with it. Sounds like an exciting weekend though.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
chin up, it happens to everyone, and if it hasnt yet, it will....its all part of the game, at least you had some action, and we learn from our adventures. good luck out there and stay positive!
Take a Kid outside...

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
You did great. What a story...You WILL get one. We have all had days like that and we have done it with lots of hunting under our hats. Great to see you back on here and get back out in the woods. There is a "COW" with your name on it....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »
Sorry you couldnt recover it but still sounds like fun.... ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
What they all said. Don't let it beat you down, it happens. Take the experience and learn from it. In the end it all helps us be better hunters and better sportsmen. Your time will come...patience youngling ;)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »
X6 its happens. Happened to me on the first buck I shot. Now get back out there, thats the best thing you can do.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:02:06 AM »
awesome responses X6....lol...i wasnt whining to loud just shocked and YES I HAD A RIOT.....been out Monday and going out tonight after work....took my mind off troubles and now on to deer.....I thank the old crows who pestered me to go out Saturday....and I dont feel great about shooting and not downing him.....but I feel better anyways.......HOPE I GET MY COW TONGHT so to speak.....saw 2 doe last night but a little thick in the bush so no shot........thanks for the encouragement.........oh and deposit???  Im not that young...but thank you tons!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:09:14 AM »
Good luck tonight.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
Keep at it Ma'am, Good things are coming.    There that's better than "young lady" right. ;D ;D ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
Keep at it Ma'am, Good things are coming.    There that's better than "young lady" right. ;D ;D ;D

thanks .....went out tonight and saw a doe and bambi off in the thicket so I didnt have a shot but at least I am seeing them huh.......just need to get a little closer and without the bambi attached..................lol but i think YOUNG LADY sounds a tad better.......than ma'am...lol i dont want to be a ma'am atall

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:18:31 AM »
Good luck loonyone!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
thanks .....went out tonight and saw a doe and bambi off in the thicket so I didnt have a shot but at least I am seeing them huh.......just need to get a little closer and without the bambi attached..................lol but i think YOUNG LADY sounds a tad better.......than ma'am...lol i dont want to be a ma'am atall

LOL , Your allright Loony, Now let's get to filling the freezer.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »
LOL , Your allright Loony, Now let's get to filling the freezer.

im gong out tomorrow........hope to fill the freezer......going to watkins on Saturday again but just for the day.....so I will be out and about again for the week...congrats on all of your successes and have a great thanksgiving holiday for you and your wife,  good luck too

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
im gong out tomorrow........hope to fill the freezer......going to watkins on Saturday again but just for the day.....so I will be out and about again for the week...congrats on all of your successes and have a great thanksgiving holiday for you and your wife,  good luck too

Thank's, I am working the Holiday, figured my time would be better saved for next weeks Gun season opening. Happy Turkey day to you and yours also. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal