Author Topic: Sometimes..  (Read 3237 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
Sometimes..
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
...you run into some real dubs in the field. I am happy to report that I haven't yet this year. On the contrary I was pleasantly surprised with one of the landowners that has allowed me to trap his pond. In an earlier post I noted that I was going to try water trapping having never done it before. Yesterday my son and I were poking around the edge of the pond looking for indications of muskrats. I was in my waders slopping around in the slimy muck while my son was busy making fun of me when the property owner drove by. Mr. Colomy told me that it didn't appear that I was having much fun and asked me why I wasn't using his boat? Really? I told him that was not aware of any boat let alone permission to use one. HE apologized to ME and thought it was understood that I could use his small aluminum boat and pointed out where it was stashed on the shoreline. He also told me that he used to trap rats in the pond but no longer did. He gave me a couple of tips and stopped to show me what to look for. (much easier than internet video's 'cuz you can ask questions). The guy didn't have to do that and I am appreciative that he did. Sometimes you meet some really great people in the out of doors
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
Re: Sometimes..
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »
ya it is definately refreshing to hear a story like this, all to often it is the opposite..Thankfully there are still some decent people left in the world...Thanks for sharing and good luck post pics
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
Every now and again you run into someone like that still!

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
Must have worked. Caught my first ever rat today. On a completely unrelated note I also caught another turkey. Pulled my traps from that property on the theory that there probably not any / many fox/coyotes there anyway. If there were I would asume that they coudn't pass up a turkey dinner....twice....in a week.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2011, 04:17:03 PM by slt »
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
Must have worked. Caught my first ever rat today.

What? No pictures?     ;D ;D ;D           Nice job...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »
NICE!  8)     Keep at it  next thing you know youll be making good catches  it just takes a little bit  like learning to ride a bike...   Congrats on the Rat  I remember mine just a few years back   I was so proud  I took it to the taxidermist

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »

What? No pictures?     ;D ;D ;D           Nice job...

Ummmm......No pictures, it was just a rat. At my age it is still a bit embarrasing to have so many rookie questions. ,,,but thank you.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »
Hey good job at the rat! I struggle with water trapping and have only caught a few rats by accident! ;D I would much rather land trap myself.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
I grew up water trapping for rats.  I was fortunate enough to learn from my father and uncle.  We were quite successful at rat trapping.  Trapping anything else on the other hand was very difficult for me!  I was lucky enough to harvest a coyote, gray fox, a couple coons, and a mink during my trapping career.  All of which amount to one day on the line with Issiah or Full Stretcher!  It was definitely fun though!  These threads and pics have me thinking about finding the old trapping equipment and setting out a few sets next season!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal