Author Topic: Here we go again...  (Read 5419 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
Here we go again...
« on: Oct 15, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
Tommorow marks the begining of another trapping season. Maine has a two week  early fox / coyote season prior to the reguarlar season opener. Every year I seem to have more time and money tied up in this interesting little hobby. This year I'm going to try something new, water trapping. I secured permision for some local land owners  to expand my territories and I'm thankfull for their generosity.  I'm begining to prefer trapping over hunting and fishing in part because I still stink at it and I learn a little more with every ignored set or sprung and empty trap. It seems to me that no matter how challenging hunting and fishing may seem, if an animal has millions of acres to roam in, and I can convince him to step on the 2 square inches of a trap pan, that is a true definition of sucess. I figure that if I keep at this for another hundred years or so I might even get good at it. Good luck to all in the upcomming season.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Here we go again...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2011, 04:23:03 PM »
Sure is a lot to it. Good luck this season.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »
Well said SLT, to be honest with you if I didn't have such a bad hankering for the big whitetails I would take trapping over hunting or fishing too!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline flintlokusa

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
Haven't trapped in years, lost my old license, and had to take the Trapping Class again.  I learned a lot, guess you can teach old dogs new tricks  ;D. Just placed an order tonight for some supplies. I am hoping to try Maine at my cabin next year, but going to get my feet wet again here in NY ,cant afford the $317 from away Trapping License in Maine  right now .  Good Luck to All
Keep Your Powder Dry and Flint Sharp

Offline Rage42

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Any idea what 'rats will be paying this year? I havent read a fur-fish-game in years  :o
Fair Chase.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
Any idea what 'rats will be paying this year? I havent read a fur-fish-game in years  :o

about $6.00 average last year
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline rocky

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
Well put slt.  I to am finding myself more and more interested in trapping.  I love bowhunting, but as i sat in my stand this past weekend of the opening of the bow season, i was drawn to the beaver pond looking for sign.  I have my father to blame for getting me into trapping and i have been bitten by the trapping bug.  I always thought that my father was full of it when he told me trapping was more challenging than hunting deer hunting but he was and is right.  It takes some serious dedication to be a successful trapper.  I find myself looking at things in a whole different perspective when i enter the woods now, instead of just looking for deer sign i am looking for all the critter sign i can find.  It is neat how easy deer sign stands out to me now compared to when that was all i used to look for.  Good luck to you.

Offline Rage42

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »
about $6.00 average last year

damn...used to get $9+ late 70's, early 80's.
Fair Chase.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2011, 07:29:36 AM »
damn...used to get $9+ late 70's, early 80's.

Heck, $6 is great compared to the $1-$2 from the 90's!  I was surprised it was that high.  Maybe next year I'll dig out my traps and hit the swamps and woods!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
Putting out a line in the morning here in New York    great stuff   let's see some pics guys

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »
....soooooooo.......It's confirmed, I still suck at trapping....and I'm still having a blast. I have a VERY limited line, grand total of 5 sets out, on vacation next week so I'll expand and perhaps do better. So far my 5 dirtholes have netted me 1 red squirrel and one turkey toe complee with 8-10 inches of tendon, and one sprung and empty.....don't seem to be getting any "drive byes" either. Weather supposed to get colder this week, maybe it will help.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »
Hey as long as your having fun!! With all the media telling us what a successful hunter or outdoorsman is....we seem to lose sight of the real reason we do this. To enjoy the outdoors and it's refreshing effect on the soul... ;)
Hope ya catch a few critters before it's over... 8)

Offline Bullelk34

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:58:54 PM »
slt- this month's Fur-Fish-Game projects rats to be $8-$9, very nice compared to years past. Also, I would highly recommend you try water trapping. It's much easier than land trapping, so you get more early success which keeps you excited.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2011, 11:42:58 PM »
....soooooooo.......It's confirmed, I still suck at trapping....and I'm still having a blast. I have a VERY limited line, grand total of 5 sets out, on vacation next week so I'll expand and perhaps do better. So far my 5 dirtholes have netted me 1 red squirrel and one turkey toe complee with 8-10 inches of tendon, and one sprung and empty.....don't seem to be getting any "drive byes" either. Weather supposed to get colder this week, maybe it will help.

About the same here so far,,   Patience has always paid off in the past

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
This pre Halloween snow storm really set me back. Pulled my set's a couple days back waiting for the snow to melt...gonna set my big(er) line over the weekend. Don't know squat about water trapping but I've got acess to a couple fair sized farm type ponds and two good brooks and a basket of conibears. Here goes nothing...
Fight crime. Shoot back!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal