Author Topic: Tanning a Fox Pelt  (Read 9203 times)

Offline susky fisher

• Nubbie
Tanning a Fox Pelt
« on: Nov 13, 2005, 02:27:54 AM »
I have a fox pelt that I still have to scrape and de-flesh (currently in the freezer) and I wondered if anyone had some advice  on what to use to cure it. I'm not the least bit interested in what its worth, I just want a nice, soft pelt to hang on the wall. I googled some info, but I really don't like the idea of putting brains in a blender, so that method is out!Alum? Borax? Salt? Thanks for any info.

Andy

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
Re: Tanning a Fox Pelt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2005, 03:15:17 PM »
Susky,
  Athough I don't have much experience with tanning, I would suggest a product which is carried by WASCO (Wildlife Artist Supply company) which is called Krowtann 2000.  Their website is www.taxidermy.com and you can order online.  All you di with the product is rough flesh the hide, mix the krowtann solution with salt and water, submerge skin for 3-4 days and neutralize with baking soda.  Then do a final fleshing and skin should be soft and supple.  There are also other products on the market, but this seems like a pretty easy solution.....Hope this helps
-Dr. IceGeek

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2005, 08:51:17 PM »
Yeah, thats the easiest one I have heard of.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline susky fisher

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2005, 02:34:40 AM »
Thanks, guys, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works.

Andy

Offline bird dog

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2005, 06:24:23 AM »
While you are at the taxidermy page go to the tanning supplies section and you will find a huge selection of tanning agents. The before mentioned is a good one. Liqua tan is just an oil that you brush on after fleshing. There will be some work involved to soften the hide after tanning it, tumbling it etc, or stretching and twisting it by hand . McKenzie, VanDykes are two other big taxidermy supply catalogs, they all have about the same stuff. Pickle it first to plump the skin up good for fleshing it, will save you time and alot of cuts in the hide. They are very thin to begin with, so the more plumped up they are it is easier to flesh them thin which will help when trying to get it soft. Safe tee acid is an easy to use and safe pickle. Good luck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal