Author Topic: IS this common?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline work2hunt

• Nubbie
IS this common?
« on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »
I have been getting interested in Trapping and checking out youtube videos and ran accross this one.

Is this a common way to trap?

And what all can you trap using this method?

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: IS this common?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
Welcome to the site, not sure about the trapping question. There are some good trappers on here maybe they will chime in.

Fixed the link for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMUFKv-A9E

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
hey welcome to the site! I am an avid trapper and that is a very common way to trap, typically it is used to trap canines or felines, often referred to as a dirt hole set, their noses are fantastic so being scentproof is key (i.e. the gloves) it is also common practice to boil and wax your traps to alleviate some smell, this technique can really be used to trap anything however, but modifying it a little helps. For muskrats/mink it is common practice to use a number 1 or 1 1/2 leg hold on a log across a stream that they may travel on and wiring your trap to the log, this allows the animal to fall into the water and perish quickly, thus reducing the amount of stick swinging needed to dispatch the animal. This technique is also great for raccoon, which with a little bait, and not as much scent proofing necessary, can be easy and fun to catch, they will actually often just lay down with the trap, canines tend to freak out, I typically just wire off to a tree or large log and not a steak
Take a Kid outside...

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:07:06 PM »
welcome to the site ! the dirthole is pretty common set ,it will catch just about everything early season you dont have to worry about the trap freezing in so the wax paper is just another process- old timer that taught me always referred to the "kiss" method- keep it simple silly- i always sift the dirt that i pack the trap in with -one little pebble  is all that stands between a catch and an empty trap and an educated critter  good luck and watch where ya put your fingers !
Bad decisions make for good stories !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal