Author Topic: Lever Action  (Read 3969 times)

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Lever Action
« on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:17:26 PM »
i am kind of torn between the model 710 remington in 30.06 and the marlin lever action336c in 30/30 or 35 rem. for a new rifle?

does anyone have any experiance or advice on the marlin? i am kind of leaning toward the lever action but dont know much about them. should i stick with the bolt action or is tyhe lever action a good gun?

thanks, jason

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005, 06:44:49 PM by archbishop »

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
Re: Lever Action
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:09:55 PM »
 i would get the marlin i shot a old 336 this weekend ( sighitn  for a friend) it was in 35 rem, i shot a 3 inch group at about 50 yards off hand. it had a weaver k4 scope on it, if i were you i would get it and put a williams peep sight on it. the 35 rem. has almost no recoil. let us know what you buy.
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:11:23 PM »
whats the effective range on the marlin?

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:43:38 PM »
whats the effective range on the marlin?

im not sure but ill do some research and find out

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »
I just checked in my  Cartridges Of The World book written by Frank C. Barnes. and it says that althought the ballistics are very simelar to the 30-30 Win the heavier bullet gives it fare more knock down power. it also says that it is good for shots 150 yars or less.  that should be all you need for deer and bear.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:31:46 AM »
But..... you get a bazillion cartridge options for the 30-06.  You're limited with the tube mag on the lever.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:35:15 AM »
J my dad has a .30-30 Winchester lever action that he always used for deer in PA.  I used in in the adirondacks when I was in college.  Great gun, very accurate (iron sights) and plenty of knock down without a lot of kick using factory 180 grain loads.  It has taken deer up to about 200 yards with ease but most have been 100 or less.  Chucker is right though about the tube magazine, it's a pain to have to load and unload quickly (like climbing into a tree stand or crossing roads and high fences etc.).  Also, (i don't know if this is true or not in this day) the manual with my dad's gun said to only load softpoint bullets into the tube as a hard point could ignite the next bullet in the magazine if you dropped the gun or jarred in hard.  We always used blunt tip soft point rounds from Federal.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:48:56 AM »
J my dad has a .30-30 Winchester lever action that he always used for deer in PA.  I used in in the adirondacks when I was in college.  Great gun, very accurate (iron sights) and plenty of knock down without a lot of kick using factory 180 grain loads.  It has taken deer up to about 200 yards with ease but most have been 100 or less.  Chucker is right though about the tube magazine, it's a pain to have to load and unload quickly (like climbing into a tree stand or crossing roads and high fences etc.).  Also, (i don't know if this is true or not in this day) the manual with my dad's gun said to only load softpoint bullets into the tube as a hard point could ignite the next bullet in the magazine if you dropped the gun or jarred in hard.  We always used blunt tip soft point rounds from Federal.

thats true about the bullets. Winchestet makes 30-30 hollow points but im not sure if you could use them in the tube mag.

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2005, 05:36:13 PM »
if you are considering a lever action you should also check these out.... they are made specificaly for lever action rifles and hornady claims they give you an additional 100 yards of effective range than other loads. they are called leverevolotion. looks prety good to me and i have a marlin 336c in 35 remington that i absolutely love, they are good guns.

http://www.hornady.com/

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2005, 05:48:18 PM »
if you are considering a lever action you should also check these out.... they are made specificaly for lever action rifles and hornady claims they give you an additional 100 yards of effective range than other loads. they are called leverevolotion. looks prety good to me and i have a marlin 336c in 35 remington that i absolutely love, they are good guns.

http://www.hornady.com/

i like that, i hope they sell just the bullets so i can load the to my likeing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal