Author Topic: Fungus guide ???  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Wkules

• Forked
  • Always be sure of your target!
Fungus guide ???
« on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:12:22 PM »
I am new to this "sport" and don't really know what I am doing. I do realize that some "shrooms" are deadly and do not want to take any chances. Any tips you veteran shroomers could give me would be greatly appreciated. For instance what is the best field guide, desk reference, and etc. I have "The Ultimate Mushroom Book" by Peter Jordan & Steven Wheeler, copyright 2002. It seems to be pretty good as it has color photograghs and boasts being a complete A-Z guide plus 100 recipes!
I just wanted to hear from some folks that are experienced and may have some tips for a novice like myself. In case it matters I live in Western New York. One thing my book isn't overly clear on is what times of year are good to find the different species of mushroom in different geographic locations.
Nothing better than dawn in the field!

Offline pointer103

• Nubbie
Re: Fungus guide ???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2005, 04:25:53 PM »
I use the Audubon Society's field guide to mushrooms.
Great pictures and descriptions.
Also points out lookalikes.

Offline Wkules

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:22:56 PM »
I'll give it a look, Thanks a lot pointer!

Offline Icedude

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:24:55 PM »
yep thats the book i have its great

Offline pointer103

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:10:03 PM »
Wkules,

The easiest to discern in the fall are the hen of the woods, oysters, and chicken mushrooms.
In the spring look for morels. I have better luck finding them in areas that have been burnt in 1-4 years ago.
These are all "choice" mushrooms.
Beware of LBM's (little brown mushrooms) unless you've got somebody knowledgeable to help you identify them.
There are lots more, but these are my favorites.

Offline Wkules

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2005, 08:22:21 PM »
Thanks again pointer,
Are these all found around western NY??
Which would be the more plentiful of them here. I would like to pick one decent species and start with that. Then progress from there. Does this sound like a good idea or am I being over cautious?

Offline pointer103

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2005, 05:26:29 PM »
I'm from central MA and I'm sure you'll find the one's I mentioned in your area.
I'm not familiar with the book you have, but the Audubon book has great pictures, descriptions, areas each are found, where you'd most likely find them, lookalikes, how, why, and what to look for if you do spore prints, and also shows the evil ones.
It doesn't have recipes, but it's pretty complete with listing of most, if not all, fungi.

Right now I'd keep an eye out for the hen of the woods. You'll find them at the base of hard woods. There is a discussion about them on this website.
If you have a wood dump with old logs and stumps in your area I'd search there for oysters, chickens, and bears tooth.
Bears tooth kinda look like icicles. Good pictures of them in the Audubon book.
Oysters can be found on trees, live and dead, stumps, and logs.
I've picked oysters 15 feet up in a maple and at ground level.
Same with chickens.
I have friends who like to drive down side roads and look in the woods and trees for mushrooms.

Note: if you find an area with good picking keep it close to your vest, you can return next year for more, so can the people you tell...

Welcome to the club good hunting!

Offline Wkules

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2005, 09:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the pointrs.....er..............Pointer!  :D ::)
sorry I couldn't help myself  ;)

Offline kenelz

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2005, 07:16:32 PM »
My favorite is "The Mushroom Hunter's Field Guide" by Alexander H. Smith and Nancy Smity Weber.
also here is a website you might be interested in, it has good pics of the more popular shroons, and some links:
http://www.michiganmorels.com/beyond_the_morel/index.html

Offline Wkules

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »
Thanks kenelz, great site. I really enjoyed it, lots of info! A great site for beginners with many links to other great sites.

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:56:58 AM »
My favorite is "The Mushroom Hunter's Field Guide" by Alexander H. Smith and Nancy Smity Weber.
also here is a website you might be interested in, it has good pics of the more popular shroons, and some links:
http://www.michiganmorels.com/beyond_the_morel/index.html

Thank you for this thread[ link]  I found the photos to be very helpful. All of it actually....             wizard
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal