Author Topic: pick a preference  (Read 6656 times)

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
Re: pick a preference
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:58:14 AM »
To me the measure of a trophy is the hunt itself

successful or not!
iv been turkey hunting for 13 yrs and seen an awful lot of birds in the bag. but the story most often repeated is as follows.

a good friend of mine gained access to his gf's dads property and invited me along to hunt there w him. he is new to turkey hunting and this property had extreme potential. no one else hunted it and surrounding properties saw there fair share of pressure.
   the next morning at 1st light my buddy my daughter and i all hung on the edge of an overgrown field till a gang of jakes started gobbling their fool heads off.  we sunk back into the hemlocks a ways and thats when i realized that the piece of woods we were in had a creek running threw it in kind of an L shape that seperated us from the birds. i threw a  soft series of yelps at them young gobblers and let me tell you i thought i was going to go deaf w all the birds gobbling. there were the jakes  off to our right across the creek and there was also a flock of mature birds gobbling across the creek in front of us. we found ourselves in a perfect situation.

i told my buddy where to sit as my daughter and i scrambled n got setup, she sat between my legs and i set the tripod off to my left. once i knew the birds had hit the ground i let em have it, the gobbling was like surround sound, jakes on the right, long beards coming in from in front of us and once they hit the creek they hung up as expected. the jakes shut down but the long beards were double gobbling and cuttting me off everytime but werent budging......i used my hat to make the best flying turkey sounds i could muster up, after a brief pause, a few yelps from the diaphram cut off w a gobble from the shaker and all i heard was feathers flappin. those toms all flew across the creek immediatly and right into our setup. 1   2   3   4. single file. this was the 1st time i had called in 4 longbeards at once. and there they were at 20yds.  as they eventually lost interest and started walking off i slowly turned towards my buddys location to try n figure why in gods name there was not a jellyhead flopping around. well......being that he is a grade A dipshit and an incredibly inexperienced turkey hunter he decided against my choice of tree selection and decided to lay on his belly down in this little depression and place is gun between two small trees. he never had a shot and never even saw them.  ::) ;D

that day i learned the importance and effectivness of calling location based on hunting pressure and i think he learned to do as he's told and that he is truly a moron.

that was 3 springs ago and ill never let him live that one down. my daughter brings it up all the time whenever turkey hunting stories start getting tossed around.  ;D

to date he has saved the lives of 8 longbeards.  :'(
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
sounds like my first time out deer hunting.....inexperience takes over for sure....funny story.....and yes i can be a moron too

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »
Heather had a group of jakes within 20 yards and never shot last year. Even after I shot one and they all ran off and came back, they were going to walk right into my lap and we wanted at least one bird to eat. I was yelling in a whisper to her "Shoot, Shoot, Shoot", and I was closer to the jakes than she was. I thought she was waiting for the long beard that was hung up below her, but I knew we didn't have enough time for him to make it up into range. Turns out she was shaking so bad she couldn't even hold the gun up  ;D, To me that's worth more than a fan, beard or spurs. Best part was she spotted the jakes in the field from the woods before my father or I.

Offline bamaboy

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
I dont think you can split them up. I say the beard, the spurs and the story make the trophy.
TalkHunting Magazine Pro Staff    www.talkhunting.com
UFA Member   www.unitedforumsassoc.com

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »
The story,  its always eaiser to make them sound bigger without the evidence around ;)
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »
personally i like the beard most but like i said i have been told the spur is better.id like to start a new part to this thread.........what is everyones longest spur?

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2011, 02:15:14 PM »

last year i called in a big boss for another fella that had a  1.375 and a 1.312.
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »
1 1/8" here.

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »
1 3/8 for me!

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2011, 05:35:58 AM »
Nubs.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2011, 05:48:32 AM »
Never measured my only set of spurs, beard was 10.5"+ though. My father tends to dull any enjoyment of a kill when he's there, I was lucky to get a few pics of that bird. One of my (little) bucks I didn't get a pic of because of him rushing me through getting it hung and skinned. He's far from a trophy hunter even though he only shoots big bucks and old toms. He has a pile of 3+ sets of huge antlers and several beards in a pile in the garage he hasn't even bothered to stick with the rest in the basement.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2011, 06:03:07 AM »
Going to stink when the mice get a hold of them... ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal