Author Topic: GUNS/AMMO and Chokes  (Read 7243 times)

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
GUNS/AMMO and Chokes
« on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »
Was wondering what everyone uses for shot guns and ammo. I use a Benelli with 3 1/2 winchester 4 shot regular choke. I know I can kill birds with it but I don't know what chokes really do like a full or mod would that give me a tighter or looser pattern?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: GUNS/AMMO and Chokes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
Does it have a removable choke (screwed in)? The tighter the choke the tighter the pattern will be.

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »
Full or better for turks.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:22:57 AM »
Was wondering what everyone uses for shot guns and ammo. I use a Benelli with 3 1/2 winchester 4 shot regular choke. I know I can kill birds with it but I don't know what chokes really do like a full or mod would that give me a tighter or looser pattern?

Look into a full or an xtra full. My brother has a Pattern master n his benelli and it's very impressive. I have a Mossberg Utli mag 3 1/2 inch with a Xtra full choke, It too shoot's Winchesters well.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »
Remington 11-87 Special Purpose in Mossy Oak 3" #4 Mags...super full rem choke
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
i use the extra full turkey choke and it works well bud.just remember when they get in real close take real careful aim.i missed a nice tom one year and i swear i shot right over him because he was sooooo close.you know i use 3 inch 4 shot and have pulled a couple long shots one which you witnessed due to a hucklemoment.my gun patterns really nice at 35 and 40 yds with that setup.time to buy a choke brother!!

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
Good point on being too close Dan, did it myself.  ;D
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
Remington 870 12 Ga.Usually use a full choke with 3 inch winchester 4 shot.Your right there dan definetly not the only one that missed them when they got close.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »
i thought it was a given that day......i was in early hit the call the gobbler must have roosted alone because within 5 mins he was out of the tree and within 10 yards.i was very inexperienced and alone so my dad wasnt there to say shoot when he was at 20-25 yards.i was just in awe as he circled my decoy and i could hear him spit and drum!just blew it oh well lesson learned.....hasnt happened since.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
Use an 870 super mag with either an undertaker or the Remington extra full turkey choke.
2 3/4" express high velocity turkey loads from Remington. Number 4 shot. Tried some 3" and a couple different 3 1/2" loads. Didn't shoot any better, but sure did kick more... :o

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
rjhulbert, there was another thread discussing the shell choices, 2.75"-3" seemed to be the best shooting for the winchester 12 gauges.

Dan, It's not always the dead bird that makes the hunt. I've only got a tom and a jake so far, but have been on many great hunts. There's nothing quite like having a big tom within 15 feet.

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
Does it have a removable choke (screwed in)? The tighter the choke the tighter the pattern will be.

Looking into that if its bought as a turkey gun the choke should come out right?? or not always?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
I would expect it to be screwed in so it can be changed or replaced. If you look at the end of the barrel it will have an extension coming out of it or an insert with 2-4 notches in the end (for a choke wrench). Also the barrel should have what it is stamped right on it.

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »
ok so as I assumed it is a removable choke however how do I tell what kind of choke it is or do i only know when I take it out?

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
I have never messed with this gun b/c it was my brothers turkey gun that he bought but when I got back from the marine corps he was busy in his career and let me use it and now hes given it to me I want to tweak it some

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal