Author Topic: My dad's trapping exploits. UPDATED 11/14/10 with new pic!  (Read 4803 times)

Offline gunner1

• Spiked
 Hi my name is Chris and I thought I'd post pics of my dad's trapping exploits here. First a little back story. My dad grew up trapping with his dad. They usually ran about 100 traps and they did alright for themselves. My dad went off the Viet Nam, came back and I was born. I remember him trapping up until my low teens, then he just stopped. Well, about four or five years ago he started back up again and he's REALLY into it now! He starts getting anxious about June/July. Kinda like me in January when I reqlize that the stripers will be running again soon in April! Anyhow, here are some pics:

This is the bobcat he just caught this morning.

This is the coon he caught last week.

These are a fisher, coyote and fox that he's caught over the last few years. There were alot more animals including another bobcat, fisher, and coyote, but I can't find the pics.

Here's a beaver from today. It weighed about 30 pounds.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2010, 07:40:13 PM by gunner1 »

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: My dad's trapping exploits.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:50:45 PM »
Congrats to your Dad, Gunner1!! Just like riding a bike..LOL  Glad he is getting back out there. We need a few more trappers to keep the populations down.
The Beaver are raising havoc here. They are in almost every brook, flooding bridges and peoples back yards. I would have to take the course to get my license back.
Been since the early 70's for me.

Offline gunner1

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »
Congrats to your Dad, Gunner1!! Just like riding a bike..LOL  Glad he is getting back out there. We need a few more trappers to keep the populations down.
The Beaver are raising havoc here. They are in almost every brook, flooding bridges and peoples back yards. I would have to take the course to get my license back.
Been since the early 70's for me.

I thought a trapping license was like a hunting license in that once you took the course, it was good for life.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
good for him looks like he hasnt lost the touch! canines and such arent the easiest to catch either.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline gunner1

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
Forgot to mention earlier that my dad had quite the adventure today. As he was driving to check one of his traps, a young bear ran in front of the car that was in front of him. It ran to the other side of the four lane highway and ran into the woods about 50 feet and stopped. It walked towards the road and then back into the woods a few different times. My dad stopped his truck and went to check his trap. As he standing there, he starts wondering why the bear didn't just take off. He looks ahead of him about fifty yards, and there is the mother bear and another cub! He says she kinda "woofed/barked" and the other bear came back over! About this time, my dad felt the wind shift to the back of his neck. Within seconds, the mother bear started sniffing and STOOD UP ON HER HIND LEGS!!! After a couple of seconds, she and her cubs rambled back into the woods. Now, my dad only carries a .22 caliber hangun loaded woth CB subsonic ammo. If she realized he was that close, he'd a been toast! I went with him last week and carried my Glock Model 21 in .45 Acp and you can bet I'll have it with me tomorrow too!!!!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »
a mother bear is not something you want on one side of you if a cub is on the other thats for sure! I found that out this summer while trout fishing up north! is your dad shooting .22 shorts? I personally dont but was told its good to do bc it wont make an exit from the fur.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
Wow great catches!!   Great pictures keep posting  8) 8)

Offline gunner1

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:49:19 PM »
a mother bear is not something you want on one side of you if a cub is on the other thats for sure! I found that out this summer while trout fishing up north! is your dad shooting .22 shorts? I personally dont but was told its good to do bc it wont make an exit from the fur.

Yup, .22 CB shorts sbusonic. They go down hard, but there's never an exit wound. Works on coyotes too!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
I didn't have to have a course. I started with my Dad at 12 and we trapped until I was 16. I think even if I had one of my old licenses I would have to take the course again.
16 was 32 years ago... :o

Offline minnowguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2010, 08:06:08 AM »
Great that he's back at it again. Keep the pictures coming also.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: My dad's trapping exploits. UPDATED 11/14/10 with new pic!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »
Good deal. That red fox has a real nice coat.

Offline Skidda

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »
Nice pics. Great job.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »
Doesn't seems he got to rusty from hanging up his traps for a while, Nice pics!
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »
Great pictures Gunner.... 
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal