Author Topic: still trying to get my first deer...no luck,,,its stings  (Read 3270 times)

Offline trying to get my first

• 6 Pointer
still trying to get my first deer...no luck,,,its stings
« on: Oct 30, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
so this season i havent seen anything yet...its really a drag....i hunt just on the edge of a food source in the evening and wait for the deer to move out to feed. still nothing,,,how can i help to get the deer out of the woods earlier... i tried grunting and the can call today...no luck at all...not even a doe. i just wannna see one for gods sake hhaha

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: still trying to get my first deer...no luck,,,its stings
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2010, 07:44:33 PM »
If possible it would help to move into the woods more towards the bedding area. If not, don't get to down as it gets colder they will usually start coming out earlier. Plus the bucks will be chasing the does around within the next week or so.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
GO IN THE WOODS!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
Yea, I would find a good trail leading to the food and set up on it a good 100 yards in....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline trying to get my first

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »
ya i forgot to mention that. i have a ladder stand set up 75 yards into the woods away from the food source towards the bedding area,,,i woudlent wanna move any closer then id push them the wrong way...but once th acros run out im sure they will be moving to my stand i hope

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2010, 04:04:57 AM »
Sounds like you're set up O.K., just have to put some time in. Good luck.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »
Just takes time and the patience to sit there...Hang in there they will be around!!

Offline toecheese

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2010, 06:43:44 AM »
Thats why they call hunting season and not go out and shoot a deer 20 minutes after you walk into the woods season. you put in the and work it will happen. Confuishis says hunter who impatient be hungry very long time.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2010, 07:02:11 AM »
Make sure the wind is right as well...almost any respectful deer will come into a field by scent checking it first, especially if you are calling...make sure you aren't getting circled and winded before they come in...if you have taken the wind and everything else in consideration...you just need to be there when they do come in...trust me you can do everything right and still not see deer, but if you are patient it only takes a couple seconds for things to change...calling from my experience only works under certain circumstances...if it's a food source let them come to it as one...good luck
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
I have a saying that I have to keep repeating to a couple of my hunting partners. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. The more time you spend in that place the better the chances of Bagging a deer. I was getting out of my stand 10 min too early last Tuesday. Guess what, the deer was right behind me for who knows how long. I was lucky to shoot him without blowing the whole thing. Patience. Get in early and stay until the end. Good luck.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
The broken record approach.... You gotta be in it....... to win it!!!! Every second you spend deerless will NOT matter after u fire that first arrow. I'll NEVER forget my first.... As I saw the arrow completely pass through I COULD NOT believe the amount of adrenaline..... I could not stop my foot and leg from bouncing. That doe only ended up weighing about 90#'s. Ive bow killed over 20 big game animals since and each and every 1 is a trophy that I will never forget!!!! Its an addiction....be  ready  and  GL my friend!  PS.. I've seen nothing from my stands this year YET  either!
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010, 09:37:54 AM by capedeer/fish »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal