Author Topic: Lost Confidence  (Read 4656 times)

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
  • just like in the woods, running the other way.....
    • madIRISHfisherman@myspace.com
Lost Confidence
« on: Oct 28, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »
After overcoming a serious back injury I am finding it hard to venture back to the woods. I can't get up a tree, had to go back to my old "American" bow, lost all my old hunting partners and fear that if I stick one I'll have a hard time getting it out of the woods. I've got the bow working good, I just can't overcome the confidence factor, any advice out there ?Can anyone relate to this dilema. if so, how'd you make your comeback.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2010, 05:56:20 PM by madIRISHarcher »
how can I rekindle the fire, when every place I look there's a fire extinguisher............

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Lost Confidence
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »
as far as the getting up a tree problem just use a ground blind, and curious how you could have lost your old hunting buddies? If they are around what kind of buddies were they in the first place if they wouldnt help ya drag one out now? I say get out there in a blind and smoke one and worry about it after, pay a kid 20 bucks to pull it out or sumpthin I useto pull them out and still do for older guys for free just bc im glad they are still doing it.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
If you can't find someone to help drag it out, you might want to look into a Jet Sled.  Once you've dressed it, you can roll it into the sled, and drag it out that way.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »
I have never suffered an injury comparable to yours. With that in mind could I suggest that there are many alternative's to a tree stand with the various ground blinds that are available. As far as your equipment goes, as long as you "have it working good" who Care's how old it is. If it's working for you use it. Do you have a rod and gun club in your area? Maybe you could find a volunteer to help with the recovery if you Stick one. Heck if your in my neck of the wood's I'll give you a hand. If you need confidence, get in the wood's and get started. Set a few limitations and stick to them. Wether it's range or how far your going in. Just get started.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »
Most have moved, some have died and the rest have hung up the bow for the gun and I ain't that young myself anymore
how can I rekindle the fire, when every place I look there's a fire extinguisher............

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
An ATV and a game cart (The one with wheels) might help you out

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »
Welcome to the site!!
Glad your healing and getting back out there.  ;D Thats the great thing about bow hunting. You don't have to be in a tree, I've taken way more deer from the ground than a treestand. Plus you can hunt closer to areas that are easier to get one out. The sled is a great idea!!! They do make draging a lot easier.
Through this site you may find someone to help you. ;D Like Bog said as long as your shooting it well, who cares!!
Good luck this season!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
Yea, look how old Upstate is and he still does it... ;D  JK....  Like the others said buy a cheep pop up blind or make one out of limbs and pine bows... If you have land to hunt a ladder stand is easy to get in and out of.. Just get someone to help you put it up..     Get out there and do it... And good luck...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
I would hunt from the ground, with number of deer I've walked up on in bow range I don't think it would hurt your odds much. I have one of those folding two wheeled game carts, it makes the drag much easier. If you hang around here you'll probably find someone in mass that would be willing to help you recover.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:00:07 PM »
Is it the confidence?? Or The fire?? If its JUST the confidence then NO PROBLEM...get out there and sling an arrow!  GL my friend!

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
The Fire, I've been avoiding that term, have a lot of reasons to rationalize that word into the equation. Been avoiding raising the question as the answer may be the answer

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2010, 04:08:05 PM »
I know the feeling. I get excited, but lose interest a lot more quickly than I ever used to. I just go when I'm feeling good and feel like it.
Stay in when I don't. Learning not to beat myself up to bad when I stay home.

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »
It's that depression b/s and it ain't b/s, it's crippling.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:31:41 AM »
I know what you mean. Just remember we all do this for the fun, enjoyment of the outdoors and if we get lucky to help reduce the deer population a little. ;D
I am sending prayers that you continue to heal, physically and mentally and are able to get out and enjoy the woods once again.
Take it slow and enjoy what you can do, and try not to let what you aren't able to do be the guiding force in what you do.
We all have limitations, but they don't have to be walls. We all wish you a successful return to the woods.....

Offline marcus

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:45:11 AM »
A day in the woods can be very therapeutic (sp?) in my opinion. I understand what you are saying, but I bet if you got yourself out there the "fire" may come back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal