Author Topic: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.  (Read 1643104 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.
« Reply #3390 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
As they always say "When the old owl hoots its time to shoot." ;D ;D

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3391 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »
More rain!! Yeah, NWS has issued another flood watch for my area.... :o 
Who ever it was that taunted mother nature this year should be hung up naked in the woods here when the black flies come out.... ;)

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #3392 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17:46 AM »
Do you think there will be some "bugs" this year with all this wet weather? lol...Lake is starting to drop some, but with more rain coming. Northville lanch is still underwater and my new sump pump is getting a good work out. Boat is in the yard and about ready to go....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3393 on: May 03, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
We already have black flies out in the Albany area. Can't wait for the walleye trip to Quebec in four weeks they are going to be plague like again this year. Anyone have any better Black fly repellent other than Deet or a net suite, the two things we use now. I quit smoking, so that isn't going to help any more but we might pick up some cigars on the way up. I can hope for wind, but it never seems to be there to help.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3394 on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:37 AM »
We already have black flies out in the Albany area. Can't wait for the walleye trip to Quebec in four weeks they are going to be plague like again this year. Anyone have any better Black fly repellent other than Deet or a net suite, the two things we use now. I quit smoking, so that isn't going to help any more but we might pick up some cigars on the way up. I can hope for wind, but it never seems to be there to help.

If you not moving you can't beat a thermacell. Perfect for sitting around the camp fire or fishing stationary, The don't work as good if your moving much like trolling. The chemical atmosphere need's to stay around you.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3395 on: May 03, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
My uncle had one two years ago, he claimed it didn't help any. Have you had them help with black flies or just mosquitoes?

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3396 on: May 03, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
Headed to the local 42 acre lake in a few. Hope the water has cleared up some. Plan on walking the bank in search of spawning basserios. ;D ;D

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3397 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »
My uncle had one two years ago, he claimed it didn't help any. Have you had them help with black flies or just mosquitoes?

Work's well on the black flies and skeeters of Maine.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3398 on: May 03, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »
Self filmed myself catching my first spawner of the year. Wish I could have got the female to bite, she should be ready tomorrow. Video coming soon. My editing is not as good as Hunt and Cheeks so dont be to hard on me.

Offline tundraboy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3399 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »
As they always say "When the old owl hoots its time to shoot." ;D ;D
Hmmmm I thought it was "when the owl hoots its time to scoot"  ;D ;D

Offline tundraboy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3400 on: May 03, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
I swear by thermacells. Turkey hunting in two weeks will be allmost unbearable without it. The black flys have been out for about a week up here. The mosquito's wont be far behind. When it gets bad I put that therma cell beside me and its all good. ;) ;)

Offline tundraboy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3401 on: May 03, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Well I had an awesome hunt this morning. It started as I was getting into my ground blind. My vest caught the opening of the blind and I got stuck. Trying not to make any noise I figure if I stand up it will pull away, I was wrong. The blind flips over(it was staked in) and I'm hooked. Figure out how to get the vest unbuckled and finally get in. It was a minute and a half or so. Now I'm winded and stressed. get the inside set up and then they start gobbling. I hit the call and had 4 different birds answering. This goes on till 5:25 and then I thought I herd them fly out.  They shut up for 5 or 6 minutes, not a peep. I'm calling thinking I spooked them getting into the blind. Then I hit the call and they are 30 yards behind me. I can see them walking in single file coming my way. I'm watching and counting, 4 hens led the flock then a Jake. There are more birds behind them but I'm watching this Jake. He stepped off the trail coming into my shooting zone and the hens are heading down a tote rd. He is now 30 feet tops ,in front of me.My fear was if the rest of the birds followed the hens I would go home empty handed. I ended up getting the Jake. The trusty old 20 gauge with a Kent 3 inch mag did it again. This guy did not even flinch when I whacked him, dropped in his tracks and never even flapped a wing. Going to take the rest of this week off( bad weather till Friday) and on Saturday I'm taking my buddys 10 year old son. Wish he was there today. I only took one picture but I will post it soon.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #3402 on: May 03, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »
awesome start to the day....frustrated already and didnt even get into the blind.......however you got yourself a turkey and thats good plus watchin them come in after your call is great too.......glad you had frustrating fun tundra

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3403 on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »
Great story Lance, Hope you do as well for that young fella this weekend. Congratulations on the jake.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3404 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »
Nice!! Seems when things go wrong, tha'ts when good things happen for some reason... ;)

Congrats!! Hope you find many more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal