Author Topic: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.  (Read 1642765 times)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.
« Reply #13245 on: Nov 03, 2012, 05:06:21 AM »
Sure would be guys....There usually is good reason for JJ doing what he does though....I can't wait to see the pics of the 150" he is going to shoot.... ;) ;)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13246 on: Nov 03, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
My friends sisters place after the storm...  Milford Conn.........

"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #13247 on: Nov 03, 2012, 01:51:19 PM »

That sucks Dom, I hope everyone is ok! :(

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #13248 on: Nov 03, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
I don't know about a 150, really I'm looking for a 3 yr old or better, P&Y would be nice but it's tough to pass on 110-120" bucks on public grounds. Came close this evening.

Wanted to try the new spot across the road but don't like trying a new tree out in the dark, ended up being a good idea this time. Sat the same place as Thurs eve. till 11am and saw nothing this time. Took a ride to check my other spots for hunters and went down into the bottom to the new tree around noon; it's a big maple, have to open my climber all the way to fit around it. Up about 12 feet there is (now was) a big knot, mostly bark, sticking out and I couldn't get by; after about 20 minutes with my little hand saw and several tries, I had more than enough room, didn't want to get stuck coming down or make too much noise in the future climbing in the dark.

Finally spotted a small buck on the ridge behind me at 3pm. Stayed cloudy all day and I had expected more movement, then the sun came out later. The sun finally went down and I was ready, but the wind shifted from NW to SE, too late to move. On cue a doe came up the trail to my left straight at me but the big tree hid me well(only good tree was close to this trail); she got to about 15 yds and started sniffing, she was right down wind of me but never spooked(suprised me) and slowly worked closer to 10 yds, still sniffing a little but eating here and there. She looked behind her and another doe was coming, she got to 15 yds; then I heard another deer coming, this time a buck and a shooter for sure, big 8. The two does would have continued past me if the wind hadn't shifted, but he caught up to them. He got close to the second doe and she ran to the flat below 40 yds away; the first doe was already a little spooky and turned and ran back and to the South, the buck decided to follow her. ::) The first doe fed on the flat in front of me munching on leaves until dark, then she headed up toward the road. Been a great start this year. 8)

No pics of the buck, had grabbed my bow by then, here's the first doe looking back:

Lots of good green browse on the flat, they love the multiflora rose:
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2012, 09:25:33 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #13249 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:29:09 AM »

You've got time JJ, you'll get him eventually! ;D

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13250 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:33:28 AM »
Patiently waiting for pics of a monster, JJ  ;)

1640 yesterday afternoon, watched a decent sized doe cross the road while we were out for a ride.  Basket six was less than 30 yards behind her.  He looked a little miffed that our car went between him and the little lady.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #13251 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:16:15 AM »
I am headed to Pennsylvania for 2 day's ( work related) Then back in time to pack and leave for camp.  ;) 
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13252 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:49:08 AM »
Safe trip(s)Bog!!

Getting closer JJ.... ;)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #13253 on: Nov 04, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »
Patiently waiting for pics of a monster, JJ  ;)

1640 yesterday afternoon, watched a decent sized doe cross the road while we were out for a ride.  Basket six was less than 30 yards behind her.  He looked a little miffed that our car went between him and the little lady.

Do you hunt?
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13254 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:15:09 AM »
Two more Saturdays before gun opens down here.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #13255 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
Nice! Good luck Kev!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13256 on: Nov 04, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Was going to take it as a good sign that there was a teal sitting int the spot I picked on the creek.  Then I just had two goddamn birds bust me as I typed this post.   >:(
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2012, 05:05:59 PM by Chucker »

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #13257 on: Nov 04, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
             I went up w/bucksnort & his daughter to Keene to drop off his deer to have it mounted, it was snowing there nothing on the ground but up on the mountains it was covered. It was a thrill to see my grandaughters face @ all the mounts they have. She was especially impressed w/the bufflow they have there. ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2012, 03:02:46 AM by 30-30 »

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #13258 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »
Started a thread in the journals, my posts haven't really been off-topic. ::) Forgot to post about the really big 8 I saw in the road driving home, waaaaay past his ears and long tines, 140+ I would think. Private land, crossing from one cut corn field to another in the wide open headed toward a bunch of houses, just outside this small farm town(village?). Three churches there but no gas station, just a feed store.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #13259 on: Nov 05, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
Had a lot of driving the last 2 days but the Fire truck is ordered and I can focus on the trip to camp now. Packing tomorrow.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal