Author Topic: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.  (Read 1643071 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.
« Reply #13230 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
Fire it up and bring it out here to get the skull then.... ;D   Or I can mail it... ::) ::)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #13231 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »

That must be every other night.................. :P

Yeah usually after 6 pm ;D
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #13232 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »
First day in Ohio. Spitting rain then the wind picked up later this morning, no deer while on stand till 11 am; flushed a lone turkey from a tree walking in the dark. Also, driving in the dark I did see a nice 8 pointer(110-120ish) in the road in front of the farmhouse where I always see them(not sure why they are there), I hunt just down the road.

Scouted a little mid-day and did my check for hunters, not as many today, should be more next week. Jumped a doe with two fawns from their beds, got pretty close, it was thick, windy and I walked down on them; the two fawns must have been sleeping and had to catch up to mom. Found rubs on some pines that are 5-6" in diameter, same area as last year. 8)

Found a big scrape under an osage on a gas line about 100 yds from where I park, must be hitting it at night, but I know they are in the area. It is on top of a knob and I followed a trail down to the road, went across and scouted the other side(always adding new spots ;) ); found a good tree for a stand at the bottom of a drainage, lots of tracks.

Decided to head down the gas line past the scrape to a spot I usually see deer in the evening; was pretty windy and uneventful till the sun went down. Ended up seeing three bucks in about 15 minutes. First was a good 8 pointer(@ 100") that came behind me at 30 yds and stayed for about 5 minutes staring down the gully, looking for the buck that grunted(me calling); decided not to shoot him after getting a good look, managed some cell phone pics, all I could do was zoom in and try to aim. ;D
Hope you get to arrow a P&Y buck out there JJ....Good to know there is one in the area!!
I was tempted to shoot but remembered Scott's post, need to hold out to get a big one.

Next buck was smaller and got about 70-80 yds away, he was coming but suddenly turned and went back. I didn't think I spooked him, then heard another deer coming from where the first one went. Another buck, big body but I didn't get a good look at his rack, he stayed in the thick stuff; the smaller buck wanted nothing to do with him.

Looks like they are still seeking does now, should start chasing soon and it will be nice and cool for once. 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012, 09:00:22 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13233 on: Nov 01, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
WOW..  Thats a great rub....   I  wish you luck and lots of MoJo, JJ.....  Kill a monster....
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 10:13:43 AM by Raquettedacker »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13234 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #13235 on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
Day 2: walking in had two deer run off, took a couple steps and could clearly smell a rutting buck, stanky; a couple hundered yds from where I sat yesterday afternoon. 8) Sat the same tree I took a small 8 from in '09. Had a blonde coyote coming straight at me at first light, got to 25 yds then veered off, too thick to shoot. Saw two bucks and a doe in the morning by 10am. First buck was a 2 year old 8, he came by at 70 yds then bedded for a short time 100 yds away; second buck was small and 100 yds away.

Mid-day was slow but you never know, got cloudy in the afternoon and I figured something would show up. Had a decent 2 year old with a bunch of small stickers(couldn't count how many) come right down the travel route I am trying to cover at 5:20; would have been an easy shot inside 10 yds(see pic). At last light I heard foot steps behind me and a nice doe came by at 15 yds, another easy one.

Things should continue with the cool weather, not used to having to bundle up so early out here. ;)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13236 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »
Nice self-portrait, JJ.  Hope you stick something bigger then AA, so he'll pipe down a little  ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13237 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »
Nice self-portrait, JJ.  Hope you stick something bigger then AA, so he'll pipe down a little  ;)

not likely...... the piping down part that is............. Stick a hog JJ, and chucker stick a 2 lb. patch mouse ;D

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13238 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:13:46 PM »
Sounds like you've got the timing down pretty good. Just a matter of time and a little luck.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #13239 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
not likely...... the piping down part that is............. Stick a hog JJ, and chucker stick a 2 lb. patch mouse ;D
OH ..... ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #13240 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
You guys are funny. ;D

It's not being cocky if you can back it up.
;)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13241 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
A wise man said that ;D I live by it.......

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #13242 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
Sounds like you've got the timing down pretty good. Just a matter of time and a little luck.

Thanks. It's my 6th year out here(hard to believe) so I've learned the 7,000 acres pretty good; just never know where somebody else will be. The section I'm using now had other guys hunting it the last two years and I didn't see much and went elsewhere, obviously it hasn't been hunted much this year. The spot I got my buck last year had a couple trucks with Ohio plates there on Wed, don't think they went in as far as I did(checked yesterday); never saw anyone parked there last year and decided to hunt it and got lucky on my first sit.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

halfrack33

« Reply #13243 on: Nov 03, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »
I can't lie... If I had that buck 10 yds away, there's no way I could hold off. Good luck, hoping to see a monster soon!

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #13244 on: Nov 03, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »

Cool pics JJ, I'm w/halfrack on that 1, I don't think I could have held off on that deer! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal