Author Topic: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.  (Read 1643098 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Wanted to post in off topic but it seems to be locked.
« Reply #8730 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »
Him telling me I am an idiot. ;D ;D
http://qik.ly/Bpwq6BuD972Z4XXyhbugkwB

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #8731 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
Cant see i....t but ask anyone they are really dumb birds. Wicked easy to hunt them.  ::) ::) :o :o   
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8732 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »
I couldnt see him either but you can you hear him gobbling? You may have to turn the volume up.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #8733 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »
I have a tent  8), not a lot of interest in bass though.

Some time between the 5th and 17th of August maybe?
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #8734 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
I couldnt see him either but you can you hear him gobbling? You may have to turn the volume up.

I can't play the video for some reason?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8735 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
Looks you can only hunt until noon like NY. Chances are he's with hens now, and a tom won't leave hens as a general rule. Around mid day the hens will head off to their nests and the toms will start looking for company. If you're still out in the woods it should be getting close to the time the hens will leave him. I would just call lightly every 10-15 minutes or so and he will likely come in eventually. If you call to much they usually hang up and wait for the hen to come to them, that's how it usually works for them.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8736 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »
Cant see i....t but ask anyone they are really dumb birds. Wicked easy to hunt them.  ::) ::) :o :o

They are dumb, but extremely weary and insane eyesight and hearing.

Some time between the 5th and 17th of August maybe?
Just let me know, I've never been to Maine and that would be a great time.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8737 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
Thats strange Bog it seems to be working for me.

stka I left I have to work today so I had to leave. I can hunt all day the last two weeks of the season. I called Brian and told him what this bird is doing. He knows the landowner of the field and is calling him tonight. The plan is to get on his travel route with decoys in the field and kill him Saturday. I will call for Brian and he can shoot him. He has never killed a turkey and I owe him for taking me backyard bowhunting.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #8738 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
Much better here today. Called 2 in but no shots, details later
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8739 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
Getting close guys!!  Figures I have to work opening morning.....But Wed. morning...look out Tom..... ;) 8)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #8740 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »
Saw first batch of goslings today.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #8741 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »
No wind after a couple gusty days should make a good morning for gobbling, I hiked into a spot that had the most sign after hearing birds fly up in several spots last night. Only heard distant gobbles again ::), time to go looking. I drove around to the other side of this section and saw a truck pull out, they went around the corner and stopped, so I pulled over to listen to their calls, they didn't call??, but I heard gobbles below them; I jumped back in my truck, drove by two guys getting out of the other truck, we both waved. I figured there would be someone else down the hill, but no one was there. 8) I parked to the left and heard a bird to the right less than 100 yds, it was thick and there was a small knob so I snuck in close. Didn't want to spook him setting up the blind so I got hidden as best I could as he was gobbling away, there was an open "path" through the brush that would put him right in my lap. I made some light calls and scratched, which he gobbled at, he was coming; I saw his head sneak by at about 25-30 yds but he stayed below and came out to my right at 35-40 yds. I realized he was going away and swung the bow down to try to get him on the cam, got about 3 secs of him; see his head in the red circle. Beard was decent, 7-8" but thin.

Here's a short video, wanted to at least get some gobbles recorded, turns out I got his last one. If you listen close you can hear more birds gobbling in the background, there were at least a couple up on the ridge to the left. So I hiked up there with the blind next and they had gone away, but I heard another bird on the ridge to the right further off. So I headed there and the same thing happened; he was on a nice hardwood flat that was open and I saw some fresh scratching and decided to set up.

(click for video)

I started calling and after about 20 minutes I heard a gobble way off below me, could barely hear it. I kept answering the gobbles and they started getting a little louder, then softer; the terrain is all up and down and I could near him working his way through below. Finally after about an hour I could tell he was getting close, I was set up on the flat with the decoy out front expecting birds to come in from either side, 35 yds in front is a steep(100'+) drop to the next level. Next thing I hear is wing beats and then a jake popped up about 30 yds in front, he was looking straight into the blind and I couldn't even grab the bow to film him. He froze for a couple minutes but didn't like something and went off to my left gobbling some more. I then went to set up above where the other birds were gobbling for the last hour but nothing happened. All in all a good morning. ;) Plan is to hike in a on the topside tomorrow morning and set up near the roost; it's actually a pretty flat hike through grass from the other road instead of coming up through the thick stuff like this morning. 8)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012, 02:08:53 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #8742 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
cool story man...sounds like it was a blast...

Luke

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #8743 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
Bog can you get Mookie in the camp too...I would watch out though...he would be that weird old guy that buys beer for all the kids to be cool... ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) :o :o

LOL, I useto love " that guy "
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #8744 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
Here's the short clip I got of the first tom, you know where to look for him:

(click for video)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012, 03:57:47 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal