Author Topic: new trapper  (Read 4348 times)

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
new trapper
« on: Aug 16, 2005, 07:57:15 AM »
hello everyboby, I will be getting my trapping license this year in new york and I was wondering what is the easiest animal to target.  The main reason I am getting it is that there is a family of beavers wreaking havoc on my parents farm and I want to remove them.  But besides them what would give me a chance to learn the best.

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
Re: new trapper
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2005, 04:34:28 PM »
The easiest thing to trap is Racoon. Here is a tip my grandad taught me get some aluminum foil, crumple it up and straighten it out. Cut a piece twice the size of the pan on the trap. Place it shiny side out on the pan and fold around it .Now set in water 4 to 6 inchs deep. If there are racoon around you will have it by the front leg every time.  Good luck                   Ron
Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2005, 01:02:28 AM »
Yes, this works, another thing too, is raccoon like watermelon, sweet things, also, dead duck carcasses, lure, use a #2 or 1 1/2 #2 traps are my favorite for raccoon, also, try a set for fox, just get some lure and try em out, fox are fun to catch.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2005, 05:01:42 PM »
Just a question, is there any money in trapping? do you guys do it just for fun, or do you make a profit from it? I think I woundn't mind doing some trapping, but how much would depend on if it pays. I was just thinking if it would pay for its self and my hunting and fishing then it would be worth doing. I could spend so much more money on my hobbies if they would pay for themselves.

In outdoor life there was a story about trapping in Alaska, man did I love it. It wasn't a warm fuzzy story, they were wet and frozen and snowmobiles having problems, but that was life. It reminded me of one trip I made last winter to our cabin, we didn't get there and ended up wet and frozen with snowmobile problems.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2005, 01:50:02 AM »
Yes, it is possible to make a living trapping, there is not a lot of money in trapping itself, and there are only a handful around here that still make a living from just trapping, but yes, I am with you on this one, I am in the process of making a living from my hunting, fishing, and trapping, and man do I love it.  I am out there 365 24/7 I am not quite good enough yet to make alot from trapping, but there is potential,  most nowadays who make it use a method called long lining, they travel long distances either driving, or snowmobiling, etc.  that is one of the only ways to get out enough traps to catch enough animals to make it.  coon are at a high teen average, last year I got a 22 dollar average, beaver are usually strong, but they had a slump last year and are making their way back now, fox are at 23-32 coyote really depends on location, but they can bring up to $50 otter are at $100 but you can see as much as $200 for an otter.  wolf are $400-$450, lynx are high, wolverine are high at around $300,  just do the math and you will see that if you catch enough you can make it.  I do not trap for the money, it is a way of life, I love it, and I will never stop.  Money is just a bonus.  There is something about coming up to a set and finding a nice beaver in it, so satisfying, I like the challenge of the rough mornings chopping through 3 feet of ice, and coming home at night knowing I could still survive like they used to and be self sufficient, and I don't need to depend on a grocery store to survive.  The key is to do more than just trap, maybe make trapping lures,, or make trapping supplies or something like that.  There are always different things a person can do in the off season.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2005, 04:54:40 PM »
Well I am going to get my Trappers License this year to hoping to get some Cyotes,Coons and some Wolves. ;D ;D :o :oMaybe if I am lucky I might be able to get a Otter,Fisher,Mink or Muskrat I know that there are some here in Kleefeld vy the Creeks. ;D ;D
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2005, 01:22:47 PM »
try locating the yotes with a locate call, and see where their at, and set some traps in the area, but they might swing through on a schedule so don't be worried if they don't hit right away, just be patient.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2005, 03:22:49 PM »
Thinking that I want to get my trapping permit, some of the guys I know trap, I know of a few ones that are real good at it.     They have offered to show me the ropes, and Im all up for giving them a hand, I wouldnt be in it for the money, it would just be another great way to get outside, plus I like the pelts and already know how to tan them.     Just have to get my rear in gear.     
    There are plenty of Coons around here and I know of a great place to get a few coyottes too, they are always there, you can see the tracks and the messes that they leave, and I have easy access to that spot.     
     It would jsut be a matter of getting the permit and learning, which I am sure is a lot of work.   
....  You can't eat the antlers ....

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2005, 02:54:24 AM »
Yeah, its much easier to have someone show you how if your new too it, get your license and go with, I didn't have my dad to teach me, and I only went with someone else once, and I really learned alot, and I have just been talking to other trappers, going to the trappers conventions, watching videos, reading magazines, and now I am pretty decent at it, I can now go out there and not waste my time, I catch alot of animals and I have fun.  I think back to the days I was just trying to learn how to do it.  Wow I was bad, but it was fun, even though we only caught something maybe once a month!  You just have to keep hacking away at it, and one day it will click and you'll have it down, and it becomes easier and more and more fun. 

MASTERGUIDE

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2005, 12:41:13 PM »
  Yeah I was thinking I was going to have to buy traps, but I just happened to come accross some, a box or two full of them from my boss who used to trap in alaska a bit too.     
    I think Im going to deffinatly get the permit now.     
....  You can't eat the antlers ....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal