Author Topic: Rabbit Trapp'n Tip!!  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
Rabbit Trapp'n Tip!!
« on: Aug 11, 2005, 11:41:14 AM »
Well last year I started to get into Rabbit Trapp'n ;D ;D and relized that a Rabbit will often head under snares when they are setup a little bit to high.:o :oSo what I suggest is to put a stick under the snare so when he comes he has to go through it not under it. ;D ;D
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: Rabbit Trapp'n Tip!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2005, 09:36:07 PM »
Thats right, you can even put one on top of the snare, or even make it springloaded, so when the rabbit gets in it, if he moves it even a little bit, it will spring up and tighten up on him real fast.  just make a trigger mechanism, out of wood, stake one end in the snow/ground and take a tree branch and latch it up on a trigger stake, its hard to explain maybe a picture will be better, but I haven't gotten that good with scanning, there are many ways to do it, so make up a way. Tom brown wilderness survival books are good for learning this, and snare books out of Fur Fish & Game are excellent as well. 

MASTERGUIDE

Offline Deer-Downer

• 6 Pointer
  • Total deer taken in my life....7.... still count'n
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »
Ya I going to be doing some serious Rabbit Trapping this winter so I should have quite a few post about my Trapping adventures. ;D ;D
I May Be Small But I Hunt Big!!

!!Hunting!! I'm in it for the !!BUCKS!!

Deer-Downer

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
You will find putting a chinner under a snare is required for any animal you snare including fox and wolves if your going to have good success . ;)

TD

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2005, 11:55:08 PM »
elaborate please about using the chinner, thanks

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2005, 01:13:43 AM »
elaborate please about using the chinner, thanks

It's basically just a thin stick or twig you put underneath your snare to make the animal lift his head up . I personally use twigs that are forked . If you don't do this,,, often animals will duck underneath a snare but with it in place,,,, since they don't wish to get poked in the snout or eye,,, they lift their heads up and push into the snare opening . ;)

TD

Offline barleydog

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2005, 01:18:08 AM »
TrapperDirk,  You still using beaver castors for colone?  Good to hear your advise!  I use a "chinner" for fox, lynx, and yotes, but for wolves?  What's your distance above ground?  Just curious???  Do you make your own snares or purchase premade models? -Barleydog

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2005, 01:01:49 PM »
I build all my own snares BD and for wolves my snares are about 16 inches from the groud but occassionally that varies . All my snares are built to loop size without any extra wire and these are attached to doubled up tie wire which I attach to drag pole or tree . This way I can raise or lower them without much fuss .
  For Marten , and fisher and coon I use box cubbies with conibears but I do catch the occassional fisher in a fox or wolf snare . Dirt holing has its merits but is too much work for me mostly, and my snares never stop working under any conditions and I can put them in fast and efficient . ;D

TD

Offline OleSlewFoot

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2005, 02:00:15 AM »
 :)  Maybe this can help you out.  It is a good illustration of the type of snare that Masterguide is describing.

just make a trigger mechanism, out of wood, stake one end in the snow/ground and take a tree branch and latch it up on a trigger stake, its hard to explain maybe a picture will be better, but I haven't gotten that good with scanning, there are many ways to do it, so make up a way.

MASTERGUIDE

I have a picture of the type of snare you are talking about.  I found in it in the October 2003 issue of FIELD & STREAM.  I have not asked them if I could use it so don't send them after me.  However, the source has been cited so they should be happy.

Hope this is helpful.

OleSlewFoot
OleSlewFoot

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2005, 03:33:26 PM »
Thats very good ole slew foot, I have a few variations also, but someday maybe I will post them, that one looks really good though.  Happy Snaring.

MASTERGUIDE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal