Author Topic: The Hole Set  (Read 4275 times)

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
The Hole Set
« on: Aug 06, 2005, 01:22:40 PM »
Does everyone agree that the most universal set is the hole set? for fox, coyote, etc.  Does anyone have a particular variation that works well.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
Re: The Hole Set
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2005, 05:01:28 PM »
Well we find dirt holing is a pain in arse mostly up here with the extreme conditions we get with snow etc . and mostly use snares for our predators . ;)

TD

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2005, 12:01:30 AM »
Yeah snares is the way to go, but down here we don't have much of a choice, there is a small snare season on these non-killing snares and its just a bunch of bs that we can't go out and snare like the rest of everyone else.  But that is my goal, move somewhere else than this dumpy pos liberal state with a ton of stupid restrictions because the DNR doesn't want to offend the antis and by the way spread the word that its WISCONSIN that is this way. Maybe if we light a fire under their a... they will wake up.  we have a whole ton of restrictions that make it harder to take game, just becuase they think it would be too easy or something.  could they possible make things any worse, I hope not.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2005, 07:00:16 AM »
Could be worse, you could have hillary there like we do in new york.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2005, 04:51:45 PM »
LOL thats a good one, right on.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline barleydog

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2005, 01:23:57 AM »
Is that Hillary in "our" state, or stuck in a trap?  Could you imagine her stuck in your set chewing her leg off! :D 

Masterguide,  I like cubby sets myself.  Keeps the birds, (camp robbers, magpies, and ravens) down to a minimum....

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »
I'm not sure what you dirthole in your areas but if you get ice on your ponds and have beaver don't forget to plant a trap right in the beavers air hole on his house . Just cover it with a bit of chaff . Around here in winter no fox or wolf can keep from checking out a beaver house and likes to get up on it to get a higher view plus warm his arse on the air hole . ;)

TD

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2005, 11:33:38 PM »
That reminds me last winter beaver trapping, I found an abandoned lodge, and I went over to it to check it out.  I found fox tracks everywhere around it.  In some holes it looked like they were fixed by fox for some use as a den even.  As far as using it to smell better and etc. A large mound of some sort works the same sometimes, I think you can even double a set by putting one trap alone without lure or anything on a mound or whatever it is, and then another set, cubby, hole, etc. near by, and maybe he will check the scent out on the grassy knoll, (get caught) and then another one goes to the cubby for the kill (gets caught) I don't know but it might work.  I know otter will use an abandoned lodge, but I found some this winter using a beaver lodge that looked active and I think they were using? it had beaver that fall, then it looked like otter living in it in the winter? and I didn't even trap one from there. Has anyone ever seen this before?

MASTERGUIDE

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
Re: Tte Hole Set
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2005, 08:58:30 PM »
Is that Hillary in "our" state, or stuck in a trap?  Could you imagine her stuck in your set chewing her leg off! :D 

Whatftp:// do you think for bait, maybe a little KFC extra crispy!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal