Author Topic: What to get for winter deer feed?  (Read 21326 times)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: What to get for winter deer feed?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
Thanks Bucksnort.
Sitting here grumbling, the shanty is still down!!!

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
yeah sux that the shanty is down,looks like MFF is getting pretty busy
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »
I've been reading some of the posts on corn being bad for deer and am a little confused as we have probably the biggest whitetails in the country here in the middle of corn country ???
That's pretty much all they eat here. Same as our hogs and cattle and they're some of the biggest and best eating in the world, my .02.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
I've been reading some of the posts on corn being bad for deer and am a little confused as we have probably the biggest whitetails in the country here in the middle of corn country ???
That's pretty much all they eat here. Same as our hogs and cattle and they're some of the biggest and best eating in the world, my .02.

How can you be confused!!!ts the blind leading the blind to not keep your herd healthy by supplemental feeding corn....

The man wants you to let deer starve to save trees and others put corn down because they want you to buy there products for food plots!!!!!!!!!Its a scam,all commercialization and propaganda!!!!!!! ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2010, 05:31:06 PM by Corporal Punishment »

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
I for one like Frank's idea with the Chia Obama, plenty of nutrition ;D

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
This is a healthy population of deer,and what it should be like in NY!!!!!! ;)

But they keep killing all the doe because the state says its OK and hands out more tags,and hunters like filling freezers..... 8)

Not me I look towards the future of my herd,nothing productive comes from a doe in your freezer these days!!!!!!!!! :-[

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »
That's what it looks like here in Nebraska CP, but the #'s we have here were acheived because our G&P and commision has done a terrific job of management.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
CP, first that pic is from northern quebec, and yes they feed deer corn and grains and they have programs to feed deer all year. Most hunting is done over a feed station. And yes they shoot doe's. As far as Nebraska is concerned, the deer there are used to a different feed structure. Largely agricultural.  All I have been saying is just that, we would be better off planting food for the deer, instead of piling up corn in December until march and then nothing again until December. I tried a little experement at my moms this week. At least four people within a 1/4 mile of her house feed deer, I cleaned up a bunch of maple and sumac and birch saplings around the property as well as cut down and limbed some cedar trees for poles next year. We hadn't seen a deer around all winter so far, she had five in the back yard today and another six tonight. Now why weren't these deer off to the corn piles? I just want to do what is good for deer, saw first hand the number of dead deer within throwing distance to the feeders last winter so I'm guessing that isn't working??

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
This is a healthy population of deer,and what it should be like in NY!!!!!! ;)

Not me I look towards the future of my herd,nothing productive comes from a doe in your freezer these days!!!!!!!!! :-[

I can Produce some very Tasty Entree's with doe meat that is in the freezer.  Now that's productive!!!! ;D ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:26:59 PM »
 :D
Hey Madpuppy, doesn't Nebraska have a earn a buck tag or is that Illinois?

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »
I can Produce some very Tasty Entree's with doe meat that is in the freezer.  Now that's productive!!!! ;D ;D

Yep!!! I see that pic as good hunting in the future,and "like I said" people like u see it as meat in the freezer....... :-[

Offline holden222

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »
So have we come to the conclusion that without feeding deer year round all you are doing is hurting the population?

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
So have we come to the conclusion that without feeding deer year round all you are doing is hurting the population?

The conclusion is "if" you shoot the doe your declining the population of deer no matter what,doesnt give them a chance to starve or give birth to more bucks/does!!!!Can not deny that.... 8)

If you claim your doing the herd a favor by shooting them you should start getting used to having fun watching squirrels from you tree stands!!!!Maybe even bring a camera,you might find a new hobby of bird watching with the lack of deer ya see..... :-\

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
Or you dont shoot does and the herd gets overpopulated and people smash them with cars and they starve to death because theres not enough food to support the overgrown herd, then you see no deer from your stand.

Offline holden222

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:25:21 PM »
So we are damned if we do and damned if we don't? Is that the new conclusion?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal