Author Topic: What to get for winter deer feed?  (Read 21328 times)

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
Re: What to get for winter deer feed?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
wow the list goes on.... shooting at running deer is a good thing, corn is now healthy for deer, and shooting does is bad. LOL!!!

Would I shoot at running doe "NO",why ruin the meat if you get an ass shot.And theres usually plenty of opportunity's to see more doe to get a standing shot,how many chances at buck does an average hunter get a year (not many,if any)...... ???

I will shoot at running deer because the only thing I shoot is buck,and if that buck happens to be running im gonna throw lead at it.I could care less if I get an ass shot then,it will prolly even slow him down a bit.And if you hit that femal artery its as good as a heart shot!!! ;)

Cant agree with that. Nothing wrong with shootin a few does. We are not just deer hunters but deer MANAGERS as well. Also dont forget does taste just as good as bucks.

I like seeing deer and the fact knowing there are alot of doe around to attract "BIG" buck from surrounding property,thats why I don't kill doe.Who here knows what there season is going to be like next year,mine should be awesome again with multiple buck sightings!! :o

This is alot of this years and future bucks,wouldn't be if they were in the freezer..... 8)

\

A survivor thats a potential candidate for next years North/South challenge!!! ;)

halfrack33

« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
i guess ill aim for that artery next time they're running by me  ::)  Whats your defense on corn? With all the big talk i guess i was  just wondering if you could make sense on just one of the three responses

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »
I see what your sayin about seein deer cp but...everyone i know shoots at least 1 doe a yr. I still saw 116 deer this bow season and had 11 bucks in bow range. Also saw 30 does with muzzle. As for the buck in the pic he wouldve been in this yrs challenge if he walked by me. If i didnt shoot him the next guy will. Maybe things are different where you are hunting though.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:59:21 PM »
I hear corn clogs up their pooper.
Please for heaven sakes shoot doe's.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 04:31:25 PM by drobertsinMaryland »

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
I see what your sayin about seein deer cp but...everyone i know shoots at least 1 doe a yr. I still saw 116 deer this bow season and had 11 bucks in bow range. Also saw 30 does with muzzle. As for the buck in the pic he wouldve been in this yrs challenge if he walked by me. If i didnt shoot him the next guy will. Maybe things are different where you are hunting though.

Not different at all!!!I havent seen 5 of the buck I have on trail cam since before hunting season.... :'(

I like deer meat,but dont need it.Like my hunting buck alot better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!If neighbors shot them I blame the buck for being to dumb and going on there land,.......... :-\

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
i guess ill aim for that artery next time they're running by me  ::)  Whats your defense on corn? With all the big talk i guess i was  just wondering if you could make sense on just one of the three responses

Well IMO if i was a deer and had a choice of dry leaves/sticks/pine needles and corn on the menu,I would order the corn!!! ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 05:28:13 PM by Corporal Punishment »

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
Corn does have nutrition, never said it didn't. but if not fed year round they take to long to adapt to it for it to do any good. Better off cutting browse and piling it up. Have seen them disregard corn to get to piles of maple, ash and oak brush.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010, 07:12:17 PM by upstatehunter »

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »

Corn does have nutrition, never said it didn't. but if not fed year round they take to long to adapt to it for it to do any good.

That is just propaganda fed to ya from people with a different agenda than having a healthy deer population!!! ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 08:59:03 PM by Corporal Punishment »

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »
For those interested in learning something, here are a couple links about corn toxicity, supplemental feeding, etc. No propaganda here, I promise. ;)

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26508--,00.html

http://cnr.ncsu.edu/fer/direct/documents/Article-MotherNature.pdf

http://mmidev3.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=14
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

halfrack33

« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »
6% protein is low proteitn. the highest protein corn can even reach is under 10%. Deer need a protetin intake in the mid teens. High protein foods like i suggested are in the 17% into the 20+% range. Corn is like candy for them and NOT good for them no matter what any homemade biologist says. Its high carb, low protein. If they find corn they will eat eat eat it and touch nothing else. Not only will they end up in low proteing intake when they need it most, and dehydration leading to death, but it leads to dieseases. It can carry mold easily, though much easier when it's alive still, and even worse something called rumen acidosis - a bad bad problem affecting metabolism and the way the body absorbs and digests foods. One side effect is diahhrea. Imagine a dehydrated deer getting diarhea and keeps going back to eat more and more corn... dead. Corn is also VERY difficult for the body to digest, hence when we eat corn its still in out poop. SO, they very limited amount of protetin doesn't even get digested. Combined with the previous mentioned disease.... dead. Digestion obviously includes certain microorganisms in our body to break down our intake. The deer build up these organisms to digest the woody foods they eat. The microorganisms needed to digest corn have not been built up since they are a different food. With digestion problems to begin with and no organisms built up to break down the food... dead. Also, when you artifically feed, even in small amounts as a "supplement" they deer gather around in tight groups fighting over food getting only half of what they would if they were feeding on their natural browse. They'll hang around the feeding site until they starve and are.... dead. 99% of people who feed deer won't hike 2 miles into the woods where the deer natually live every time they replenish the "food", so you're pulling the deer away from their natural habitat as well. ALSO, please stop comparing deer to cattle, they are two completely different animals. I am not a biologist and dont pretend to be, have just done a bunch of reading/research on the topic. I didn't even mention the CWD which some idiots claim doesn't exist lol. I haven't even sraped the surface on why  corn is bad but i don't feel like writing any more. I am just so tired of people thinking they are helping and putting out corn because the deer just like the taste of it and its cheap. So whats the argument to this?

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »
6% protein is low proteitn. the highest protein corn can even reach is under 10%. Deer need a protetin intake in the mid teens. High protein foods like i suggested are in the 17% into the 20+% range. Corn is like candy for them and NOT good for them no matter what any homemade biologist says. Its high carb, low protein. If they find corn they will eat eat eat it and touch nothing else. Not only will they end up in low proteing intake when they need it most, and dehydration leading to death, but it leads to dieseases. It can carry mold easily, though much easier when it's alive still, and even worse something called rumen acidosis - a bad bad problem affecting metabolism and the way the body absorbs and digests foods. One side effect is diahhrea. Imagine a dehydrated deer getting diarhea and keeps going back to eat more and more corn... dead. Corn is also VERY difficult for the body to digest, hence when we eat corn its still in out poop. SO, they very limited amount of protetin doesn't even get digested. Combined with the previous mentioned disease.... dead. Digestion obviously includes certain microorganisms in our body to break down our intake. The deer build up these organisms to digest the woody foods they eat. The microorganisms needed to digest corn have not been built up since they are a different food. With digestion problems to begin with and no organisms built up to break down the food... dead. Also, when you artifically feed, even in small amounts as a "supplement" they deer gather around in tight groups fighting over food getting only half of what they would if they were feeding on their natural browse. They'll hang around the feeding site until they starve and are.... dead. 99% of people who feed deer won't hike 2 miles into the woods where the deer natually live every time they replenish the "food", so you're pulling the deer away from their natural habitat as well. ALSO, please stop comparing deer to cattle, they are two completely different animals. I am not a biologist and dont pretend to be, have just done a bunch of reading/research on the topic. I didn't even mention the CWD which some idiots claim doesn't exist lol. I haven't even sraped the surface on why  corn is bad but i don't feel like writing any more. I am just so tired of people thinking they are helping and putting out corn because the deer just like the taste of it and its cheap. So whats the argument to this?

I know the deer don't have a multitude of protien feed in the mid-teens during winter!!!They eat almost anything organic and mostly dried out dead stuff.....What is the protein for hay,gotta be less than corn,but that is equivalent of what there eating during winter!!!!! :-\

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2010, 05:09:46 AM »
http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/deermanagement/wt_202foodplots/#cont

Sorry haven't figured out how to post a link to click on yet, but this article has some interesting facts in it.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
You da man Raquette.

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:38:45 PM »
http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/deermanagement/wt_202foodplots/#cont

Sorry haven't figured out how to post a link to click on yet, but this article has some interesting facts in it.
upstate when you post your link just click the hyperlink button the 1 that looks like a little earth then post your link between the urls
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal