Author Topic: You can't fix stupid.....  (Read 4740 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
You can't fix stupid.....
« on: Oct 19, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
Check this out. My two son's both decided to get trapping licenses this year. We've trapped a bit the past couple of years but have been restricted to the farm. ( Maine allowes trapping without a license on your own property if it's used for dairy / beef farming). With the purchase of the licenses we can now cover more of the neighborhood. I own a woodlot of about 40 acres which is nearby but not attached to the farm. There are a few wood roads that run through it and are popular with the people that live in the housing development that abuts it. These people walk the trails with their kid's and dogs, some ride horses and it's really not a big deal....I don't care if they want to walk there. I do care about the dogs as we plan to trap there. I posted sign's along the borders and along the road asking that people keep their dogs out from Oct to Dec due to our trapping activities. The sign stated that all were welcome to use the property without restriction but that due to the traps and the dogs sense of smell, I did not want to catch them, injure them or ruin a good set location.

GUESS WHAT.....,. Got a call from the green policeman. He was good about it, just questioned the dates I had posted and let me know that his office had received a complaint that due to the number of dogs and children that use MY property that I should be told not to trap there ???..... Some times I REALLY hate people......... >:(
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: You can't fix stupid.....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 05:33:31 AM »
Thats pretty funny. Some people just dont get it...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

upstatehunter

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009, 05:40:09 AM »
Boils down to no matter where you live you don't really own your property, only pay taxes to have access to land. They tell you what you can and can't do with it.
And as long as there are more hikers and dog walkers than hunters who vote they will always side with them not the ones who actually pay to use the land and waters.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:09:07 AM »
That is funny...................... but not a surprise.

As far as who owns the land? The government own everything, when you "buy" land all you really get is a lease, you can do what you want with the land for the most part, but the government has final say and can take it back from you.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2009, 12:57:37 PM »
Did you tell the cop what to tell the person who made the complaint? that it is private land.

But maybe you should just post that the land is closed until trapping season is over, you could be liable if someone walks into your trap, it is a risk. At least if its posted they can't come back to you.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
Posting would be a pain in the backside and would only keep the honest ones out. I am considering a toll both to help with the taxes..........
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
Posting would be a pain in the backside and would only keep the honest ones out. I am considering a toll both to help with the taxes..........
Plus posting would only piss off the neighborhood. Maybe even someone that may let you trap in the future. Just talk to the users and let ask them if they can't respect you and what you do on your land to not use it.

Offline Bigfish57

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
Wow that is lame as all hell.  Some people really don"t have a clue. I hope the warden stuck up for you to that donkey.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2009, 10:43:23 PM »
Wow that is lame as all hell.  Some people really don"t have a clue. I hope the warden stuck up for you to that donkey.

He did.I believe the whining party was told that with as much posted land as we have in the area they were lucky I didn't post it for everyone.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline minnowguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »
Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out. Do you have insurance if someone gets hurt on your land? Thats the only trouble with being nice some people will take advantage of others.

Offline Bigfish57

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
Maine has a law on the books that says if someone gets hurt recreating on your land you are not liable. The only exception is if you make them pay a fee for access.

Offline allextremesfishing

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
i know this is a lil late. but post your property to no trespassing. i know you would hate to do it but if people are gunna be stupid like this then tell em to screw off and get off your property. they can do what they want on theres and you can do what you want on yours!!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »
A shot to the ...........comes to mind. ;D ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »
A shot to the ...........comes to mind. ;D ;D

What else is new..... ::) ::) ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."