Author Topic: More of the seven point(Updated 9/8/09)  (Read 3204 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
More of the seven point(Updated 9/8/09)
« on: Sep 06, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
This guy is showing up a good bit still. What would you guys do wack him or let him go one more year? He certainly is asking for it sticking his tongue out like that. ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2009, 02:20:56 PM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
Re: More of the seven point
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
Plenty big enough for me! Looks to be pretty tasty too.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2009, 02:48:26 PM »
Tough call. Here in NY, you're lucky to see a nice buck like that. So many people shoot small bucks that passing on him is pretty much just opening the door for someone else to kill him. All depends. Is this on private or public land? What's the attitude towards deer management down there? If it was me, I'd whack him. Well, let me rephrase that...I'd take a shot if I got one. Doesn't mean I'd hit him, but I'd sure as hell try to put the moves on him.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2009, 02:58:38 PM »
DEAD....but by the looks of your buck management down there you might wanna give him another year and see what he becomes......but in NY dead instantly cuz like smokestick said if i dont shoot him someone else will and that would be a mighty fine buck around here for me to take.....he'd add to my collection of 7 pointers  ;D

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
What SOS said....hard pressed to see a deer like that, specially on state land.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »
Smokestick Kid he is on private land but its only 25 acres I have to hunt. If the people hunting the neighboring properties that surround me see this deer he is a goner. I know if I was gun hunting i would pass this deer without a second thought. Now a bow on the other hand I may shoot him. He's one of those deer I will know when I see him. I have never taken a buck as big as him with a bow.

Offline Buckseeker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
I'd take him in light of the fact that it is 25 acres and what you said about your neighbors.  Let's hope he doesn't pull the disappearing act once the season starts. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2009, 06:18:02 AM »

Hey Drob what does a buck like that weigh down there?
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »

Hey Drob what does a buck like that weigh down there?

Raquettedacker I think this buck is 150-160lbs on the hoof. It's hard to shoot a buck over 200lbs down here and if you do your doing something. Mainly just due to the fact you dont see to many bucks 3 1/2 yrs plus in my area of MD.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: More of the seven point(Updated 9/8/09)
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
I was going through trail cam pic's from last year and found this pic. I am 95% sure the buck on the left is the seven point pictured at the top of the this post.

Offline fuldraw

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
if thats the case and he is the one on the left and you think he will stay primarily on your land then i would deff give him another year if not 2

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »
It's a gamble to let him walk.  Not only are there other hunters but automobile and coyotes.  If there is a way to make sure has has a good bedding area with thick cover to travel and food through the winter on the private land where you can control the pressure, I might give him another year also.  If you choose to gamble all bets are off at the start of the rut when his home range expands.  He has good genes, hopefully he survives to pass them along if you choose to wait on him.

During the rut, if you can keep the does on that land with a food plot or feeder of some sort, he may not stray very far.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal