Poll

Do you think the new PFD law is reasonable?

YES
NO

Author Topic: NY PFD law poll  (Read 15803 times)

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
NY PFD law poll
« on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »
They posted this on MFF so lets see what kind of results we get from hunters

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: NY PFD law poll
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
Not sure what the law is but since its N.Y. its probably ridiculous. ;D

Offline Cheeks13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »
I feel that my safety should be up to me not the State. I pay my taxes and ridiculous licence fees, now leave me alone!!!! Cheeks out!!!! ; 8)
"You see it your way... I see it the way it is."

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
I'm 100% with you Cheeks...   Some guys like to be "looked after"  while others are more independent and would rather be in control of their own safety.  It's almost like the state is saying  "we own you".  What's next a state regulated diet, to keep us from having heart attacks?  I do understand where the other side of this argument is coming from, I just don't agree with it...    IT'S MY LIFE!   

This probably boils down to insurance companies having to pay out; like with the seatbelt law...
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009, 03:28:11 PM by Issiah »

halfrack33

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »
like i said on the other post its retarded and ill take my chances of getting a ticket. I'm not wearing one while i shoot in a foot of water that my cat could stand in

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »
I'm with ya boy's, I think as a country we are getting regulated to the woodshed. They're is a certain element of risk associated with hunting, for that matter any outdoor activity that makes it exciting. I'm not one to take risks by any means, but if I choose to live my life the way I want I don't want the Gov. telling me I have to do simple things the way they see fit.
I don't know if you fella's have ever seen the movie Deliverance, but in the movie Burt Reynolds says" I don't believe in insurance, there's no risk". The simple things that a man does that are a little risky sometimes get the heart pumpin' and I think it's what we all enjoy subconsciously, why do we ride scary amusement park rides? In the same long paragragh I will end with KEEP IT SAFE BOY'S, BUT HAVE FUN!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2009, 09:13:36 AM by Madpuppy »
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

upstatehunter

« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2009, 05:54:17 AM »
I really don't see a problem. It only states while boat is moving, and in the months the water is the coldest, to try to lessen the mortality rate. Once you get to a desired location and start waterfowl hunting, I'm sure a DEC officer would not ticket for no PFD.  Also those that like to troll the big lakes after the water gets cold would have to wear while under motion, not much different than allot of states that never get water as cold as we do.  Went out on a local lake a couple weeks ago and never took mine off, you forget it is even there after a bit of fishing. I lost my gandfather to a capsize in cold water while guiding a client fishing Schroon lake. He tried to swim to shore for help and the cold water took him down when he couldn't swim anymore. The client was wearing a life vest and hung on to the boat. He was rescued and lived a happy rest of his life. I never got to know my grand dad as I was born four months later. I believe in the laws to protect peoples lives. Yes I have always worn a seat belt.

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »
First let me say I'm sorry to hear of you're Grandfather, he obviously was a brave man and was thinking only of the life of his client. I think that PFD's are a great life saving device and should be worn. I just don't believe in the Gov. telling me I have to, it's just one more of our freedoms that is whisked away. How much Gov. parenting do we need, are the citizens of this country getting to the point where we need to be told what to do and when to do it at all times? What's next, wash you're hands before you eat law or brush you're teeth before you go to bed law. I'm exaggerating obviously but you get my point, there still needs to be some personal responsibility involved. My father always told me never take the river for granted, respect her and she'll treat ya good. Disrespect her and she'll make ya pay.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »
I think it says that if your boat is stationary then you don't need one on. So if your hunting in a marsh, you don't have to have it on as long as your boat isn't moving.

Correct me if I'm wrong, its just what I have heard.

halfrack33

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »
it's basically illegal to shoot while your boat is moving anyways. I mean you can be paddling but you can't be in pursuit of them with a motor so maybe it isn't that bad. I just think that having them in your boat should be sufficient. If you capsize and have one there to put on, youll put it on. I just fear that your paddling around a corner and have your life vest on then spot duck and have to make all kinds of movement to get it off before you shoot. Its a hassle we shouldn't have to deal with is all...

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
it's basically illegal to shoot while your boat is moving anyways. I mean you can be paddling but you can't be in pursuit of them with a motor so maybe it isn't that bad. I just think that having them in your boat should be sufficient. If you capsize and have one there to put on, youll put it on. I just fear that your paddling around a corner and have your life vest on then spot duck and have to make all kinds of movement to get it off before you shoot. Its a hassle we shouldn't have to deal with is all...
agreed they should make an exception for waterfowlers.

Offline rocky

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »
seems there is no end to new boating laws, whats next? 

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »
Another reason for 1 of those bad wardens to meet up with ya and give a ticket!!!I like ice fishing so dont take the boat out this time of year,at least havent in my lifetime.....Get the walleye in the river now though I guess????

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
I think it says that if your boat is stationary then you don't need one on. So if your hunting in a marsh, you don't have to have it on as long as your boat isn't moving.

Correct me if I'm wrong, its just what I have heard.

I found this statement from Albany. What I'm curious about an I.D.I. suit? Gov't seems a need to baby sit us all?

"Under the law, each boat passenger must wear a securely fastened, United States Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device of the appropriate size while the boat is under way that is, while the vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground. Boaters are subject to the law while on any lakes, rivers, streams and waters within the state that are not privately owned. Violation of the law could result in a fine of $25 to $100. Commercial boats and racing crew shells of organized rowing teams are not subject to the law."
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
Is that a new law there considering,cause I havent heard of it yet!!!!! :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal