Author Topic: Let's get some sausage recipes on here  (Read 3371 times)

buzzbomb

Let's get some sausage recipes on here
« on: Oct 16, 2004, 11:20:04 AM »
I know we've had 'em on the shanty but I'd like to see some of your best deer sausage recipes.  Usually I look on the internet (or Rytek Kutas' book) and take the ideas that catch my fancy then make up my own mixes.  Instead of waiting till just before sausage making time let's get a few out in the open now.  I made a few batches of beef and pork sausage in the spring just for kicks, using sage and mustard seed (I call it 'farm style') and finally made a big batch of deer sausage about 6 weeks ago.  It's almost gone now, too!  I use ground venison, pork (either trim or pork butts), sometimes a little beef, and make my spice mix with garlic, pepper, paprika, salt (unless I'm using bacon ends) sugar (in lieu of glucose) soya sauce, sometimes a little ground ginger, sometimes some crushed chilles, and a touch of Prague powder for the cure. I'll spread breadcrumbs over the whole thing and mix in as a binder.   A guy who runs a tackle shop here told me he doesn't use pork at all, just %70 beef and %30 deer and claims it makes a real nice mild sausage! Any thoughts on that?  Sounds like it'd be a little dry, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2004, 11:32:45 AM by buzzbomb »

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
Re: Let's get some sausage recipes on here
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2004, 07:14:49 AM »
My sausage uses all deer meat. I do not like to eat deer meat for the most part, but in my sausage I finally found a way for it to taste good.

It is all deer meat and spices. I put it in pig cases.

I have had it at some of the shanty partys before and it seemed to go over well.

Becuase I hate the taste of deer meat so much I set out to find a way to make it taste the very best it could. You would swear there is pork in my sausage but there is not.

I'll try to gather a list of spices used for you.

Jon

Offline griff

• 6 Pointer
Re: Let's get some sausage recipes on here
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2005, 08:06:05 PM »
Venison Sweet Sausage
8 lbs venison 2 lbs pork fat
7tsp fennel
2tsp white pepper
2tsp black pepper
6tsp sugar
3tsp sage