Author Topic: deer results  (Read 6931 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
deer results
« on: Oct 11, 2004, 06:14:09 PM »
Post your results here. did you get any? or see any?
red

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
Re: deer results
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2004, 06:47:31 AM »
get this. i spend almost 2 weeks in maine deerhunting and don,t even get a shot off.i go out back my house in mass yesterday and by noon i have an 8 point buck and a nice doe.maybe i,ll spend the 2 weeks at home next year.

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:41:23 PM »
jeez, haven't seen a single buck this year. Ive only seen does, same with people ive talked to. Ive seen so much sign, but like i said, no bucks. Where in MA are you located. Im in Western Ma.
red

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2004, 06:23:40 AM »
i am in zone 10 in hopkinton. its a very liberal zone. besides the 2 buck tags with your lisence they allow 1 doe tag a day for 5 bucks. shot another buck on wed. of the first week. been seeing does but havn,t had any good shots. been grunting the bucks in. all in the same general area. buck # 2 was a 6 pointer. have seen a 10 pointer but no shots. i,m done anyways. i,ll go out sat and try to get a doe. it seems over the years the deer heard in mass has mooved from west to east.

Offline JF5

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
I did about 22-23 hunting hours in NH firearms and saw zero deer.

MA shotgun I hunted 10 of the 12 days of the season in zones 1&2. Saw 4 deer total. Two unkowns together, and two bucks (seperate).

Missed one buck (small fork) on a tough shot, on Sat week one. Took a 6/8 point (small brow tines) Thursday the second week (Zone 1).

Muzzy:
I did 3 afternoons season in zone 9 MA. Saw two deer, one unkown and one doe. No doe permit...no shots anyway. 

Did one, 2.5 hour sit in zone 2, saw a doe and fawn.

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
i went out and put in quite a lot of hours and man did it pay off. i saw one 8 pointer, a 4 pointer and a doe in one night, shot at both the bucks and missed. i have never seen this many deer sitting in mass. the very next night i had a doe come in, shot and hit a tree. then in shotgun i shot 3 times at another 8 pointer and unfortunately missed again. then ended the season with another miss at a doe in musket. fortunately i finally connected with a doe in VT. well needless to say i think i will be doing some more practice shooting this summer!

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
I am from NY and am considering getting a Massachusetts license this year.  I would hunt public land in the western part of the state.  Is it worth it?  The public land I hunt in NY is in the northern zone and has very few hunters.  I don't want to deal with the orange army out there.

Offline JF5

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »
I am from NY and am considering getting a Massachusetts license this year.  I would hunt public land in the western part of the state.  Is it worth it?  The public land I hunt in NY is in the northern zone and has very few hunters.  I don't want to deal with the orange army out there.

Well...there has been a shift of pressure in MA from the western end to the central and eastern part of the state. So, the Berkshires and CT River valley do not see the pressure it used have. I hunt 1& 2 (Western MA) and honestly see a fraction of the hunters I used to see during gun season. The locals are there still, but not much others. You'll see a few hunters...but the orange army is long gone. Bow season there are very few hunters (west MA)

Is it worth it?? Well, I do not know what part of NY you are from, but IMO the hunting is tougher in western MA than most of NY state, except maybe the deep adirondaks. Let me put it this way...in 2007, NY's Stueben County took more deer than our whole state, all seasons combined!! 

We have low deer density and mature woods in most of the open lands in west MA. So seeing deer can be tough. But you can get your space.

if you bow hunt, central and eastern MA has allot of areas that are not legal or reasonable for gun hunting, and better density than western MA.

Other things to consider...we do not allow rifles for deer. No sunday hunting. NY season is usually one week earlier than MA, so the firearms seasons of both states overlap.

Offline illgetarecord1

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
saw anice 8 point day before gun season. ? for ne one from western mass can we hunt in farnems.tht where i saw tht buck

Offline moosebait

• Nubbie
  • Hunt hard shoot straight love life!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
Did very well filled my tags with the bow!! The oak crop was great. Three deer go fast when everyone wants some meat. Between my two hunting buddys and I we get eight. Seen alot let a lot go. Great year!!

Offline JF5

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »
Did very well filled my tags with the bow!! The oak crop was great. Three deer go fast when everyone wants some meat. Between my two hunting buddys and I we get eight. Seen alot let a lot go. Great year!!

WOW, pretty fantastic for the Berks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal