Author Topic: What would you have done?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
What would you have done?
« on: Oct 07, 2004, 07:23:11 AM »
I would have lit a fire as well. In fact everything I have been taught if lost includes the lighting of a fire especially if it is cold. Only differance is I woul not have lied about it when questioned.  What would you have done under the reported conditions below?

Grand Jury Indicts Hunter in California Fire
Thursday, October 07, 2004

Sergio Martinez (search), 34, was indicted on one count each of setting timber on fire and making a false statement to a federal officer. Each charge carries a maximum five years in prison.

The 2003 blaze, called the Cedar fire (search), killed 15 people, destroyed more than 2,000 homes and charred 273,000 acres from the mountains east of San Diego into the nation's seventh-largest city.

The blaze began Oct. 25 in the Cleveland National Forest after Martinez became lost on a deer hunting trip and lit a fire at dusk, according to the county sheriff's department. The fire, driven by Santa Ana winds, then swept through tinder-dry brush and trees.

On the night of the blaze, the Forest Service issued Martinez a misdemeanor citation for setting an unauthorized fire. He was released with a warning that he could face felony charges if people were injured or homes destroyed.

Asked what held up the indictment for nearly a year, Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Lasater said officials had conducted "a thorough investigation."

Jose Martinez, the Los Angeles-based lawyer representing the defendant, declined to immediately comment. Sergio Martinez could not be reached for comment. Martinez is to be arraigned Thursday in federal court, where a judge will decide if he should be taken into custody, Lasater said.

The indictment carries special allegations that Martinez's actions caused more than $400 million damage and 14 deaths, including one firefighter. The San Diego Medical Examiner's office later determined an unidentified man found in a drainage ditch was the fire's 15th victim.

Martinez was severely dehydrated when sheriff's deputies, responding by helicopter to a call of a lost hunter, found him waving from the top of a small mountain as nearby flames shot 10 feet into the air.

The indictment said Martinez lied about starting the fire, and prosecutors declined to provide details. Sheriff's Deputy Dave Weldon told The Associated Press last year Martinez denied setting the fire, but then apologized. "He kept apologizing and looking at the fire," Weldon said

Offline skulldugary

• Nubbie
Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2004, 08:37:59 AM »
Man, thats a tough one,If I knew of the fire danger,I'd probably lay in a low spot and cover myself up with leaves and debris for a little warmth but until we are in such a situation we just never know what we'd do......

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2004, 08:48:19 AM »
I wouldn't have gotten lost!

But depending on what the weather conditions were like and what equipment I had, I would have built a fire if it became necessary.  It's hard to say without knowing the details of his situation.  Although given the conditions that existed and the warning about unauthorized fires, I would have been extra careful in selecting a fire pit and would have spent the time to clear a sizable area of understory to try to prevent what apparently happened.  After all, what good is starting a fire for warmth and comfort if there a chance you could die from the flames.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline skulldugary

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2004, 07:19:19 AM »
Where was his compass????

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2004, 08:38:27 AM »
   Depending on how cold it was I probably would have started a fire,  although it would have to have been pretty cold.   I carry a few survival items it my pack at all times even for a hunt close to home you never know what might happen,  a fall from a treestand , broken leg etc.  If I did decide to start a fire it would be in a suitable location ie: cleared of brush forest duff,  with special attention to the downwind side.  Fire can get out of hand quickly in dry windy conditions and special care needs to be taken.

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2004, 11:24:32 AM »
i think the guy has no idea what he,s doing and does,t belong in the woods by himself.let alone cary a gun.

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2004, 08:38:06 PM »
This is one for the courts.  I believe,  (given the sketchy facts)  the guy probably was very scared and didn't have a lot of field knowledge.  What I am seeing as an end result of this is manslaughter,  He didn't mean to do it,  but ignorace is no excuse.
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal