Author Topic: ?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
?
« on: Jul 11, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
hey, i was wondering if anyone had any good way of getting a bear without baiting them or running them with dogs. i live in Mass and they outlawed baiting and dogs and was looking for a way to get one. Ive hunted for bear in the past and gotten two but they were both off baits. if anyone has any way feel free to let me know.

thanks

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
Re: ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2007, 09:36:38 PM »
You can legally hunt a corn field, apple orchard, or beechnut ridge without it being considered bait and any of the three will produce. Good luck

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2007, 05:18:28 PM »
thanks ill have to try it.

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2007, 06:20:50 PM »
there is no reason why baiting is illegal. I wish it was leagle in ny that is the only sure fire way to kill a bear

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2007, 03:35:22 PM »
there are calls made for bear, and preditor calls could work too, but it sounds like spot and stalk if possible is what you have to do.
and easy on the bear baiters JimP, their hunters too, and renting is easy maybe but keeping a bait is plenty of work.

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2007, 05:07:53 PM »
Sadly, that doesn't interest those who want surefire methods and zero effort. Any idiot can go sit on a rented  pastry pile in Maine or Canada and shoot a bear. Heck I bet I could train a chimp to do that!
"Shoot, Bonzo,...SHOOT!"........

Jim, the main goal of the Maine IF&W is to control the bear population. Hunting over bait is very a effective way of doing that. No one forces anybody to hunt over bait, but if its legal then some hunters are going to do it.

Any idiot can go sit on a rented  pastry pile in Maine or Canada and shoot a bear.

??? ???

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »
jim its people like you that move into our state and want to try to change our laws to match where they came from out of ignorance.

Most states consider it unethical, hence no baiting allowed for game birds, waterfowl, etc.

Anti hunting and anti gun states! Unethical, give me a break. Thats just what the animal rights groups say.

Offline Thestanimal

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2007, 04:59:09 PM »
jim its people like you that move into our state and want to try to change our laws to match where they came from out of ignorance.

Well said Bonehead.  Jim P if you don't like it then don't do it, but don't critisize people that hunt using legal means.   The people defeated the bear referendum because it made sense for our state.  Maine has one of the most effective bear management programs in the US so we must be doing something right.  BTW the ME F&W sided with the people who voted for continueing to hunt with dogs and bait.

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
Jim, I see that you are a turkey hunter. Do you  use decoys or calls to lure your birds in? How about grunt tubes, rattling antlers, doe in heat, or hunt over mock scrapes or deer decoys? Ducks are lured in by decoys and calls. All of these are man made and brought into the woods by man. Are these unethical practices as well?

Offline GrandLaker

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
Jim if it is so easy why is the state success rate 30%, I run a bear hunting operation and I would like to see you follow me around for a month, there is nothing easy about bear baiting or hunting bears over bait, keep your opinions in the state you live in, it is people like you who will destroy all Maine hunting heritages, my blood is boiling just reading the BS you posted!!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »
It's been my experience that most who bait do so for either A) profit (as with outfitters) or B) because they don't have the skill to hunt otherwise.
Yes, that is why there are guides, so that those to lazy and fat can get out and shoot something without scouting or doing their homework. I guess that is why your against the whole hunting industry? If your not hunting with a rock and a stick your just too lazy to get out there and do the work right?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal