Author Topic: Coyote sets  (Read 8858 times)

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
Coyote sets
« on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »
Just got into coyote trapping last season usually just trap water. What are some favorite sets? Think I'm going to pick up night owl lures this year
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: Coyote sets
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
i like a number 2offset in a dirt hole... I use a 4in dirt hole punch down at least 12inches, use some sheep wool with mouse meat or beaver meat... warm early season I use a glad lure but late into winter I use a skunk based lure for the extra scent when it freezes

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:34:11 AM »
snares and cages here.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »
Thanks for tip duck man. A lot of lures have a skunk mix I wondered if there was a certain time that should be used. Wish we could use snares but nys frown upon anything easy or makes sense

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2017, 11:30:58 PM »
flat set is most important and versatile set you'll ever use.  back when skunk was new it was a good curiosity lure, now the last 20 years everyone hears skunk skunk skunk it's a good way to alert a coyote or any critter that something aint right.  Ive been back east driving te NF roads and all you can smell is skunk, leads me right to the sets, lol its crazy how much skunk is being used.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
flat set is most important and versatile set you'll ever use.  back when skunk was new it was a good curiosity lure, now the last 20 years everyone hears skunk skunk skunk it's a good way to alert a coyote or any critter that something aint right.  Ive been back east driving te NF roads and all you can smell is skunk, leads me right to the sets, lol its crazy how much skunk is being used.
only time I use skunk is dead of winter.. if we have a week or 2 of a warm up ill go back to a glad, I do agree skunk is over used early season but I myself love it when its below freezing out for an extended period

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
oh and don't use the whole dang bottle at a set... a few drops goes a long ways at a set

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
A lot of the flat set videos Ive watched look almost like a dirt hole. Are you just looking for a spot with backing and then using a visual with gland lure?

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »
a flat set is a dirthole without the hole, basically.

which set to use really depends on what your target is, and the goal as well as time of year.

If I am trapping coyotes or wolves in  wild setting, for fur, on my established line my sets are going to be different than if Im called in to a ranch to catch coyotes or wolves killing stock.

if I am trying to wipe them out I will start off with sets to catch the parents then the pups , say a strong Urine post set to get the male then a gland lure with a little food for the female, then flat sets or holes with food for the pups.

but if I'm trying to cull fur on my line I'll catch the pups, which will be a food lure, or a heavily clumsy blocked dirthole, I don't want the parents I want them to keep breeding, I want the pups that will walk into a set made for a cat.

catch circles in areas NOT heavily trapped work well on pups too, but catch circles in heavily trapped areas are shunned by older coyotes here, they know what those circles mean and avoid them.

a flat set is across the creek and driveway from my house, it's a patch of old ant hill with a hip bone from an elk that has been laying out there 20 years,  occasionally I squirt some urine on it or trip the trap and let my hounds loose, the males will visit the bone and pee on it, that's all it is.

often if I'm riding fence I will make flat sets head of time and pee on the backing myself, contrary to what many people believe human urine does not spook animals at all, nd to get themused to checking these flat sets I usually drop a chunk of hotdog near by, pre baiting sets all year gets them used to visiting that set without fear and then wham they are caught come fall.

and that's important to, males are caught in sets that a female won't use, females will roll in a gland lure set and a male might just ignore it. if you want to catch the males use a urine lure on the backing or post, it wont appeal to most females esp if they have a mate already or are in family unit still.

the chief thing to remember with a flat set is there is nothing strong enough there  to draw the animal over off its travel path, you have to have that set right on his path or he wont deviate like he will with a dirthole, bait, food, etc set.

another thing important to get off on the right foot is trappers like hunters like to make it into something it is not so when they succeed it seems like an accomplishment, people have been trapping and hunting food for millennia it is easy, otherwise everyone wouldn't be successfully doing it.

before getting all carried away with making a complex set take a chunk of dog chain and a rusty trap and anchor it or drag, then set the trap right on the ground , no hole no cover nothing, just a trap on the ground, then go get some fish pellets and make a pile of them say fist sized 8inches orr so from your trap, it doesn't really matter, then wait for a rain or pour some water on it to get it soft.
and watch.

ive caught more fox and coyotes and other critters in this "set" than you could believe. animals don't walk around nervous watching and looking for danger.  trap on the ground is no more alarming to them than a chunk of wood, a bone or a fence stake.
don't mke it complex its not witchcraft

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2017, 06:41:40 AM »
Thank you for the pointer s slick. I didn't know the females would shy away from gland and that certain set were meant to catch certain members. I just ordered nightowls brush fire, fox gland, coyote urine and high honors.

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2017, 09:51:49 PM »
they aren't meant to catch a certain anything, take a walk with a female dog and a male dog, they don't check the same things and then sometimes they do, like walking through the mall with your girl, there re certain things will appeal and draw each sex differently.

most trappers throw in a set, if they catch something they think it proves something, all it proves is animals are easy to catch.

but if you are looking to manage your fur lines whether you take adults, young,  males, females, makes a difference.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
We ve got way to many around here. Theyre coming right up into the barn. Id like to catch as many adults as I can

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
We ve got way to many around here. Theyre coming right up into the barn. Id like to catch as many adults as I can

bear with me the 'A" key stops working on my keyboard time to time

you my already know this but coyotes re perfectly designed

lets say in a given area there are 4 mated pairs of coyotes, (8), these 4 pair will have say on average 4 pups each litter.( 24 total)
now we decide there are too many and wipe out three of those mated pairs and all their pups.

what will the litter size be of that remaining pair next litter?
so far the record is 17 pups.

as the food dwindles the parents produce less pups, her body doesn't have the reserves to have more than say 3 or 4 or maybe 1, but wipe out the population and the extra food available goes right into new pup production.
pretty cool huh?

many people don't learn the true biology of the animals they pursue and so it always remains a mysterious thing full of " secrets" they discover.

like whitetail deer.  when food is dwindling, the change in the doe diet signals changes in her hormones, in times of scarce food her body changes biologically and her fwns will be male.
she has buck offspring when food is tight because deer are  a matriarchal society, the females rule, the males disperse nd leave the area, thus putting less strain on the already struggling food supply.

when there is endless food, like when people put in food plots and supplemental feed, her body signals abundance and her fwns will be female, no need to disperse so she increases her family herd with more doe.
I read food plot forums trying to grow trophy bucks and more of them with a more even doe to buck ratio and shake my head, because providing good and unlimited food will make the doe to buck ratio just the opposite of even, they don't naturaly wnt  a 50/50 doe buck rratio anyway so they are not only working against the biology of the animal but also working aginst themselves by creating more doe fwns. :o

id throw down a couple flat sets and a scent post set , the ctch circles left from those catches should keep catching the pups too, less is less right, who cares if its the adults?

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
I really appreciate the help. Never thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense. Doesn't really matter to me which ones I catch. 3 days til it opens

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »
My favorite is the dirt hole set. I will be try a compass set this season...

backblaster, Good luck and please post pics!
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal