Author Topic: Man killed by black bear in NJ!  (Read 1520 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Man killed by black bear in NJ!
« on: Sep 22, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
New Jersey man attacked and killed by black bear, police say
Reuters
2 hours ago
Wochit

New Jersey Man Attacked And Killed By Black Bear, Police Say

(Reuters) - A man hiking in a heavily wooded area of northern New Jersey was attacked and killed by a black bear during the weekend, police said on Monday.

Darsh Patel, 22, of Edison, New Jersey, and four friends encountered the bear on Sunday afternoon in the Apshawa Preserve, about 40 miles (64 km) northwest of New York City, according to the West Milford Township, New Jersey, police department.

The bear began to follow the hikers and they scattered, police said in a statement. Four of them regrouped but Patel was missing and they contacted police, it said. Patel's body was found about two hours later.

"Evidence at the scene indicated that the victim had been attacked by a bear," the statement said.

A bear was located at the scene and euthanized, police said.

Black bears are common in New Jersey, where they typically are not aggressive and tend to flee from humans, according to the Department of Environmental Protection website.

They create a nuisance by getting into residential garbage and tend to be active in the fall searching for food ahead of the winter, it said.

Apshawa Preserve is a 576-acre (233-hectare) nature preserve of oak and sugar maple trees that is popular with hikers and bird watchers.

(Reporting by Ellen Wulfhorst; Editing by Bill Trott)
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Man killed by black bear in NJ!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »
That's what they get for not allowing them to be hunted for so many years while the population was growing fast. It was bound to happen sooner or later, I told my friend that lives down there and sees them in his back yard it was just a matter of time.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
Why did the hikers scatter? It seems pretty doubtful the bear would have attacked a group of people? They at least could have put up a formable defensive stance?

Thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Darsh Patel, his family and friends...
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014, 06:19:43 PM by monk »
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2014, 05:58:46 PM »
Why did the hikers scatter? It seems pretty doubtful the bear would have attacked a group of people? They at least they could have put up a formable defensive stance?

Thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Darsh Patel, his friends and family...
             I agree, they should have stayed together, safety in numbers.

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »
Thoughts and prayers  send out to family.
no information

Offline rlgs312

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
My thoughts go to the family, also agree they should have stayed together and if they run a scattered they become prey which is why the bear would chase one of them.
Any day in the woods or on the water is better than ANY day at work.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
       Thoughts go out to the family also ; Seems weird the law enforcement tyred to scare it off instead of shooting it  ???
       It's not the Bears fault . They need to let hunting be allowed to keep the population in check  Thank you  " PETA " 
       Just my opinion

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2014, 06:38:51 PM »
They killed the bear Chuck.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2014, 04:08:46 AM »
They killed the bear Chuck.
I see it on the news Sunday night and they talked about it some ; The bear wouldn't leave he still wanted his meal
Things are going to happen you can't hunt , After a while the population gets up there them problems start to developed , Such as the
other day , They got lots of bears around and had no problems with bears until now but now they claim it's the bears fault
Sorry I don't Agree with that , Hunt them

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal