Author Topic: You tell me  (Read 4165 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
You tell me
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
Two things. First of all I'm very pleased with my new beaver trapping partner. Neither of us knows squat about beaver trapping but this guy is first class. He's energetic, enthusiastic, does his fair share and most important he owns a bunch of 330's ( I don't) and he has disposable income so he buy's whatever gear we think we'll need. We work together but on different shifts  so we split trap tending duties but I've been appointed as skinner and fur prep half of this partnership.
Today while checking our 1/2 dozen sets I am pleased to report that we caught our first beaver. Pretty pleased. We have also picked up a number rats which brings me to the second item. The first set I checked had a rat in it. When I picked up the trap I knew it didn't look right. I wasn't until I got it out of the trap that I found that the entire head/face had been chewed off all the way to the neck. What would do this? My first thought was a mink but would they feed on a submerged carcass?
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: You tell me
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
wow you got me on this bud...iv never water trapped so I have no clue...if you have facebook join the group trapper talk and ask there...great group of guys and a lot more trappers there then here...not bashing this forum but not many of us trap here

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »
Snapping turtle...a submerged rat in a trap is a smorgasbord for a snapper!
It'll chew...

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:49:23 PM »
pin down what you can on a wood stretcher for section 3. Save your carcass for bait everything loves rat, kinda like beaver.

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »
Its a mink. No doubt about it. I have caught many like this. Mink attack the head of their prey to blind them and then go for the neck for the kill. I have watch  2 mink kills in my life. Both rats and one was in my trap as it happened.

When I find a killed rat, I make a deep pocket set right there. I then rub all the blood and carcass all over the bank. I have used 110s in bank but my preferred mink trap in a #1 jump. Very light pan tension. I tried coil springs before and had them freeze or not go off up and the mink walk right over dragging the dead rat.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:04:25 AM »
Mink, I don't think Snapping Turtle are too active this time of year.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline TRAPPER7

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
Otter, mink

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal