Author Topic: Started off well,,,,,  (Read 4480 times)

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
Started off well,,,,,
« on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:42:15 AM »
.....but seems to have died off for me, Early season was like Christmas morning, something every day. Past few days Nuthin!. Changed up a little and set some beaver traps with a friend this AM. Neither of us know much about beaver trapping but we gave it a whirl. Heading north next week in hopes of some fisher and marten.  Luck to all.....
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2013, 07:43:52 PM by slt »
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
Re: Started of well,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »
I know that feeling my line went dead last week. I was hoping to get some beaver traps out but hopefully this weekend. Seems like there is never enough time in the day.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
I think i'm going to change the tone of this thread. I posted that we were changing up and trying beaver trapping. I tagged along last year with some folks that know how to trap them, and my friend did the same with a guy he knows although neither of us actually set any. We found a pond with a huge dam and three beaver houses /lodges that we can see. we found some runs where they appear to be exiting / entering and some fresh chewing so we set them. Yesterday we caught the biggest muskrat I have ever seen. Not what we were after but fur is fur. Today while checking our first set. the trap was sprung and I could see a dark thin shape held in the trap. MINK i thought, good enough. Nope we had an 11 1/2 inch hornpout, so I ask this. What is the strangest NON TARGET species you have ever caught?
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »
Nothing to odd for me typically just feral cats. That's kinda the cool thing with trapping though its anyone's guess what you gonna come across.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:19:23 AM »
I once caught a sucker in a muskrat set on a small stream.

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
Well atleast you got bait out it. 

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:13:36 AM »
Yes sir!  It went 30 yards to a coon set against a huge willow.  This was way back in the late 70's.  I haven't trapped in 30 years.  It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun as well.  I often think about getting back into it, but I know I don't have the time right now to commit to a line.

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »
Ya it makes for some days running traps before work. I try to keep the line fairly small for the most part. Or run snares then only have to check them on the weekends

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal